The Mistake by Rick McQuiston

Tell us what you thought of the April 2006 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

The Mistake by Rick McQuiston

Post by Megawatts »

This story really held my interest! I couldn't put it down------even if it doesn't fit into SF/ Fantasy.<br><br>I liked the humor! Reminded me of Jack Nickleson in 'The Shining' by Henry's comment outside the door.<br><br>I liked it.
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Mistake by Rick McQuiston

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

This story really held my interest! I couldn't put it down------even if it doesn't fit into SF/ Fantasy ...
<br><br>What, zombies don't count? <br><br>...Her throat constricted when the man reached the third step. The small light bulb which dangled from the ceiling revealed his face to her at last. It was Gary! But that was impossible. Gary was dead. Henry had slit his throat right in front of her upstairs when he had caught them in bed. She had barely managed to escape herself and ran to the cellar where he had let her sit for days before starting his attack on the door.<br><br>She cringed in horror when Gary lifted his head back to reveal the jagged red crease on his neck. The stench of decay assaulted her nose and tightened her stomach. Had she had anything in her stomach she surely would have thrown it up. ...<br><br>Think of the story as being 'insanely jealous husband kills the man who cuckolded him and imprisons wife (to torture her before killing her as well) ... but does it just before the Night of the Living Dead'.<br><br>Robert M.<br><br><br>
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Mistake by Rick McQuiston

Post by kailhofer »

Good opening. Kept me reading, and apart from Jeff's Nightwatch, this was the only story his issue that did.<br><br>Kudos to the author.<br><br>(I read a few more later, but only because it's taking forever to get the next issue out.)<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “April 2006”