Ants by Steve Zocchi

Tell us what you thought of the June 2006 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Ants by Steve Zocchi

Post by Megawatts »

The author explained and explained which in my opinion isn’t so bad. After all, he’s thinking alone.<br><br> Red ants as big as a thumb? Well they could really latch into ya! I hope that day never comes, but if I remember right, some ants did become immune to radioactivity, once. I’m not sure about this so I might need some help. If I remember right it was in the sixties.<br><br>I hate to be ‘bugged’ ----a little pun intended--- by salesmen, so at the end I clapped for joy.<br><br>I thought the story well written, it was clear, easy to understand and unfolded itself without any sudden jumps, as this type of story should.<br><br><br>
Tesla Lives!!!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Bill, you work with the stuff, so that explains why you can 'shed some light' on the subject.<br><br>I never had to go near it, never wanted to. I work in generation---coal fired--- but know many that went to Three-Mile island after the accident.<br><br>It was all volunteer, but many guys went for the extra money.<br><br>There stories to this day glow with details!!!<br>
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Why doesn't it look right when I quote someone else?

Gareth
<br><br>You have to make sure to include both the opening '{quote author=XXX ...}' and the closing '{/quote}'. In between, you can edit the text to include only the passage(s) relevant to your post.<br><br>Robert "I shot irrelevant in my pajamas. How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I believe there's more radiation from cement and from natural sources then from a Nuclear Power Plant.<br><br>I've never been involved with Nuclear Energy, just what I hear from the news and some people I work with! And most of the news is B.S.<br><br>The public doesn't understand Nuclear Energey, or for that matter anything connected with Nuclear. I don't, and I still don't know if it is from the strong or weak nuclear force. <br><br>I've heard about the Fail-Safe Systems incorporated with<br>nuclear power plants, and have talked with engineers and control room operators at the Nuks. <br><br>The operators go through so much training that I think that I would go crazy. And every fifth week or so, they go through simulator training for a week or two. Every problem that might pop up is presented there, and the operator must responded to the simulator as if it were a real accident or very serious problem. I don't think that I could stand that kind of training!<br><br>I work in a coal fired plant and my training for the most part when I was in operations was, "Hey, Joe! How do I isolate the system?"<br><br>That is unheard of in a Nuk!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

You also get radioactive contamination from eating bananas and brazil nuts!  It's true!  Why don't you believe me?

Gareth (waiting tensely to see if the quote thing works this time...)
<br><br>I believe you. Hell, there is a measurable amount of radon outgassing from most concrete (the REAL reason you should be afraid to go into long-sealed dungeons, tombs, and basement storage rooms). And unstable isotopes of carbon are what makes 'carbon dating' work.<br><br>So there's radiation from rock (regardless of size -- from mountains to molehills to dust particles) and carbon (in all things organic) -- there's radiation pretty much everywhere. Which might explain why EVERYTHING causes cancer.<br><br>Robert "I'm all aglow" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “June 2006”