Handel's House of Horror by Craig Cornwell

Tell us what you thought about the November 2006 issue

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Handel's House of Horror by Craig Cornwell

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

ever the realist, Bill, ever the realist.

I liked this story from Craig: good to see more of the same humor and fast paced action.

hot and cold running vermin...heh heh, cool.

this was nice, and Handel i thought was a likable fellow. the fact that none of it was even remotely authentic or realistic didn't matter to me one iota.

what did bother me, strangely, was Craig's refusal to use Buffy: Vampire Slayer. I don't like made up references coz then they have no value as a reference, having been made up!

but that's a minor glitch, overall the story was fast, entertaining and just the right length.

Lee
I think a comic book referred to "Wendy the Werewolf Stalker" ... On the other hand, on the TV series 'Supernatural', one geeky character asked the other to ask himself "WWBD?" -- "What would Buffy Do?" Goldurn that fear of copyright / trademark police!

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re:  Handel's House of Horror by Craig Cornwe

Post by Megawatts »

Bubble bath will kill Vampires? I never knew that, but then again I’m not into Vampires much.

I liked the idea of  using a .44 Magnum mixed some bull-shit to discourage a Vampirees from attacking, and it just might work. After all, females care about their appearance, even the dead ones that I once knew when I was younger!!

The story was action packed but the characters didn’t come alive for me. A little more attention to character development would have went far.

I couldn’t visualize the Vampirees’s, Raven nor the Detective from description or the use of symbols or suggestions by their action.

In all, it was a good story.  I believe the author was attempting a light-hearted story--almost comic book type--and in general it worked for me. I was entertained as I read it, and that’s what counts.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “November 2006”