'Bang' by Mike Driver

Tell us What you thought of the October 2006 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

'Bang' by Mike Driver

Post by Megawatts »

Nice Halloween story and one that was very fitting for this time of year. Yes, without graveyards what good would Halloween be? Ghost, well they must live somewhere, and a caretaker who spends all of his time in a graveyard would surely understand that.

The description was superb--I could see the sights and hear sounds and even the smell the odor of the hut, and visualize Kenneth, especially helped by  Kenneth’s adamant refusal to recognized Jeff as a proper name! Kenneth believes in completeness, apparently.

‘He smiled his barely visible twenty-watt smile and pointed past me.’ I love that metaphor! I work in a 1800 megawatt generation station and have never thought that one up!

As I read, the picture ‘Psycho’ ( Hitchcock) played over and over again in my mind.

Kenneth needs mother, so mother comes back from her grave. I can just imagine Jeffery’s face when mother came in!

The story has all the mixtures need, but I was hoping that something else might pop up instead of mother. But mother did work, and I liked it!!

:P
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: 'Bang' by Mike Driver

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Thanks Megawatts, I'm glad you liked the story.

One thing I should have made a little more explicit is that Mother is a Zombie - sorry that didn't come across more clearly. She's dead (undead) and Kenneth can't bear to be parted from her - but the undead also want her back - they can't bear to lose one of their own.

Cheers

Mike ;)

... I think Mega got that part. He did say 'Kenneth needs mother, so mother comes back from her grave.' One wonders exactly how Kenneth got Mother back -- did his inability to understand that 'dead things should stay dead' (to quote from a recent episode of 'Supernatural') combine with his need for her override natural law? Or is there something about that [s]sematary[/s] er, cemetery that makes the distinction between dead/not dead a bit shaky? (For that matter, did Kenneth have to play whack-a-corpse before Mother came back, or did that only happen because the rules had been broken?)

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: 'Bang' by Mike Driver

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Hi, Kiwi Yank down under here.  Just registered, trying stories to read.  Where do I look?
First, welcome to the Monkey House. Remember to duck if any of the residents throws something in your direction -- odds are it isn't something you'd want in your hair  ;).  Lord knows we love to have people actually read and comment on material that appears here -- otherwise, we can hear yez breathin', but dunno if yer payin' attention.

For the current issue, go to

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

to see the 'cover', then click on the cover; or go directly to

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/index2.htm

to read Dan Hollifield's Editorial and see blurbs (brief descriptions) and links to the stories and poems.

For previous months' issues, go to

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/backnos.htm

and pick an issue.  That will bring up the equivalent of 'index2.htm' for that month.

Robert Moriyama

PS You should avoid yanking your Kiwi in public. There's laws against that sort of things, especially in Red states. ::)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on November 27, 2006, 03:12:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “October 2006”