Brothers in Arms by Byron Wheatley

Tell us What you thought of the October 2006 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Brothers in Arms by Byron Wheatley

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

The first paragraph, about mercenaries hired to work for big corporations, struck me as somethong GLP might write, then surprisingly in the second paragraph the main character was introduced - and was called Gareth!

There were some very good images: 'the soothing breezes blowing above the battlefield' was a good line I thought. In 2 or 3 places there was a bit of confusion over who was talking; that needs clearing up a bit to make it flow better. Overall, a good adventure.

Gareth
Is it just me, or is it somehow incestuous for one Gareth to comment on a story that he finds reminiscent of the work of the OTHER Gareth, when the story's protagonist is named ... Gareth? Is there a shortage of names floating about in the ether? Have the Gareths somehow stuffed the metaphorical ballot box so the name 'Gareth' comes up more frequently that it should? Discuss.

Robert 'No, my middle name is NOT Gareth' M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Brothers in Arms by Byron Wheatley

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Is it just me, or is it somehow incestuous for one Gareth to comment on a story that he finds reminiscent of the work of the OTHER Gareth, when the story's protagonist is named ... Gareth?  Is there a shortage of names floating about in the ether? Have the Gareths somehow stuffed the metaphorical ballot box so the name 'Gareth' comes up more frequently that it should?  Discuss.

Robert 'No, my middle name is NOT Gareth' M.
Quote from a different thread:

'or was it just soliciting more submissions from the likes of Lee, the Gareths, me, etc.?'

As I now seem to be subetherealy linked to the 'Other' Gareth (or am I the 'other' Gareth?) and we are always referred to in the plural, that may or may not answer the question, if indeed it was a question rather than an observation.

Gareth, or as the Borg would say: 1 of 2.

Any minute now, GLP will exclaim, "Hey!  I'm 1 of 2! Da noive of dat Other Gareth!"

Robert '1 and only' M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on November 15, 2006, 10:29:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “October 2006”