Shotgun Christmas by James M. Black

Tell us what you thought about the August 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Shotgun Christmas by James M. Black

Post by kailhofer »

now if only we could have this round xmas time...good mood, strong characters and a very coherent story despite being so short and bare. but those aspects of it worked in the story's favor.

and was it implied that Mac became the new stranger after being shot?
I didn't see any switch to new stranger status. I got the impression this was one of those Christmas Miracle stories that sets a character right. Not that Mac was all that wrong. He wouldn't push extra beer, wouldn't take excessive money, tried to get the stranger a cab, and tried to get the hooligans to disarm. True, he wanted to stay open on the Eve, but all he needed was a little convincing to get his priorities "straight".

By his actions, he proved he was worthy of saving by the stranger. Good character, that Mac.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Shotgun Christmas by James M. Black

Post by kailhofer »

is there something inherently wrong with a business owner staying open xmas eve? he wasn't asking anyone else to stay with him. apparently it was the best place for him to be at.

agree he was a nice guy.
I believe the story's implication was that people of good, moral character should be with family or religious fellows instead of hanging out in a bar on Christmas Eve. That is, as long as one is a Christian in the first place, or is sympathetic to that point of view.

I suppose it would be admirable if one's religion is drink. I've seen more than a few beer worshipers in my days. (Of course, many wound up praying instead to the Porcelain God to be delivered... Has HE ever shown up in the Pantheon Room of the Mare?)

Plus, there was the notion that he was staying open only to be stingy, ala Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “August 2007”