Channel Surfing By E. S. Strout

Tell us what you think of the April 2008 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Channel Surfing By E. S. Strout

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

...is it just me, or did the explosions get bigger every time?

How on earth did the remote survive the destruction of Earth?

Intriguing. And a little odd. Certainly an example of how not to use an incredibly powerful item.
It wasn't just you.

Gino Strout told me that the scientists who hid the isotope sample probably blew themselves up by accident -- the pyrotechnics were obviously more powerful than they expected. Hence explosion #1 killed or otherwise removed two people, but left their surroundings more or less intact; #2 leveled a house; #3(? we don't know how many steps there might have been in between), a planet; #4 --? Given the gone-and-back-again effect, the isotope seemed to be fracking about with the space-time continuum on a geometrically increasing scale, probably leading to instability in the structure of matter (hence the explosions). However, the isotope and its container (the remote control) may have been protected because they were not in the same space-time 'plane' as the stuff that went boom (or, like Peter in "Heroes", their power radiated outward without directly affecting the source).

Robert "Plot Oddities Explained, 50 cents" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Actually, it's MY fault. I thought this might have been a trunk story dating BACK to 2000 (or earlier), so I pushed the date forward. I mean, hey, if the Earth was destroyed sometime around the 2000 NBA playoffs or final, then ... what the hell are WE standing on?

Ye Editor of Stories of Shortitudinousness :-[
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Kind of a short story with an impact. I’m not sure what happened that morning, but their remote survived.

A little accident can go a long way!

It’s interesting to note that Dr. Merlin Archer was peace-freak during the 60’s, yet he blew up the earth and possibly many alien worlds with his remote isotope device--I’m not sure I know what it was designed for. Blow up terrorists? Make them inert? Make them disappear?

I like how the remote found its way to the kids, then to an alien.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “April 2008”