They Never Knew By Richard Tornello

Tell us what you think of the April 2008 issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: They Never Knew By Richard Tornello

Post by kailhofer »

In the end, this was quite enjoyable, as well as just a bit creepy.

A little slow to start, though. I almost gave up on it during the prologue--but kept on because I was wondering if the Song submarine thing was true or not. Looked it up later. If it were me, I would have chopped the prologue. It gave away too much of the ending, and I'm a firm believer that you only get about 200 words to grab a reader's attention.

1st person has a lot of negatives to it, although the splices of different characters' 1st person journal entries kept it fresh by effectively rotating the narrators. However, it might have felt more "real" in third person. Tough to say, considering the epistolary nature of most of the entries.

I'd read more like this, in any case.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: They Never Knew By Richard Tornello

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I liked it, too.  I didn't find it terribly scary, though.  My reaction was more like.  .  .so what?.

I don't mean this in a bad way, though.  This guy seemed to have a  good education, good career, decent retirement after making a pile of money as a Head Hunter.  So he uncovered a century-old conspiracy?  Big Deal.  If it had been anglo europeans behind the whole thing, it wouldn't have changed anything.

As a matter of fact, it sounded like the PRC folks were doing a bang-up job running the country.

Ain't that what's really important?

Bill Wolfe

Well, the PRC seemed to be downright Republican in the way they dealt with any possibility of dissent... It's interesting, upon reflection, to note that not even Rick seemed to think there was anything odd about the government monitoring his research. Apparently, any expectation of privacy or due process was long gone by Rick's time.

(Of course, it was probably the American plutocrats who sold out the country to preserve their own wealth and power who wanted to suppress the truth ... after all, SOME people might have been a bit peeved about the how and why of China's rise to power over the You Ess of Ay, and no matter how good the security may be around an estate, SOMEBODY might get close enough to spoil the carpets. And you know how Dick and Dubya feel about the riffraff intruding on the folks whom Dubya calls his "base".)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2008”