The Genesis Solution By Lee Gimenez

Tell us what you thought of the August 2008 issue

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Genesis Solution By Lee Gimenez

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Bill_Wolfe wrote:...Read Alice B./Racoona Sheldon's (a.k.a. James Tiptree Jr.) 1977 Nebula Award winning novelette The Screwfly Solution for how this story should be told.  Marvelous.  Scary.  Deeply disturbing.

Using the word Solution in the title to this story is vaguely annoying, though I can't put my finger on why.

Bill Wolfe

[/size]
Bill -

You answered your own question. Having memories of an award-winning story which shared both some plot or thematic elements AND a title with the word 'Solution', you were (a) induced to compare the two, and (b) pretty much forced to judge the shorter, newer, amateur effort as inferior. I had a story of mine with a title that was a punning riff on Norman Spinrad's "The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde" (itself a jokey version of the title of the political novel "The Last Hurrah") rejected in part because the title evoked memories of Spinrad's piece and the expectation that my story would somehow be connected to Spinrad's story (which, if I recall correctly, featured the motorcycle-riding(?) descendants of Genghis Khan's army...). (My title was "The Last Hoard of the Golden Hurrah".)

I liked the way the story left the human protagonist with a nasty moral/ethical dilemma: should she accept being a denizen in what would be essentially a 'wildlife preserve' for the last survivors of the human race, or do the 'noble' thing, and fight to the death? In the latter case, of course, the human race would become extinct, once and for all, so in terms of species survival rather than 'moral' obligation, she (and her fellow townsfolk-in-a-metaphorical-bottle) had a duty to survive, breed, and eventually expand. Having never read Sheldon / Tiptree's story, I judged the piece on its own merits.

As for the idea being cliched ... how many really original ideas have you seen? Most of sf and literature in general consists of ancient ideas and plot elements rearranged and dressed up with 'new' stylistic devices, 'modern' settings and technology, etc. And 'flat' characters -- hey, compared to William Shatner's James T. Kirk, the Joker (Nicholson or Ledger version) is kinda blah. What would have made them 'three dimensional'? Obsessive-compulsive disorder, an unnatural fascination with the mating habits of flamingos, and rebellious teenage children?

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Genesis Solution at Toastmasters...

Post by kailhofer »

Natalie wrote:I am a toastmaster, and currently working on an advanced manual (interpretive reading). I picked this story cos i liked it and it was about the right length. Read over it a few times to prepare and read it for my toastmasters speach last night.

It went down exceptionally well, i tried to show the feeling of the characters and screamed, gigled, whispered, at all the right times. Tha audience was enthrawled, and i had my evaluator sitting on the edge of her seat!

Just wanted to say, i enjoyed using this story, and my club enjoyed listening to it, so Thank you!!!
First off, hello, and welcome to the forum!

Second, I'm intrigued. I had not heard of Toastmasters International until I found it on Wikipedia, but that might just me being oblivious to the world around me. Sounds like a fun club. In the interpreting reading section, is finding a story online and reading it commonplace?

Since I've been a denizen here for a while what I'm really dying to know is how did you find this story? What led you to this odd corner of the net instead of somewhere else? Does Aphelion have some strong demographic amongst toastmasters that we don't know about?? I may change my stories just so they read better aloud.

However it happened, it's extremely cool that you chose a story from this webzine and that it worked for you in a public reading. I'm sure the author will be proud.

Don't be a stranger... even if you are stranger. :)

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

whaddya know...

Post by kailhofer »

I knew about Casey & Kerry, but not about Dad.

I guess they'll soon be called the Writing Callaghans. :)
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “August 2008”