How Could They Do That? By William Brently

Tell us what you thought about the February 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: How Could They Do That? By William Brently

Post by Megawatts »

The intro worked. I’ve read and heard that adverbs shouldn’t be used! But the adverb “occasionally” used in the first sentence adds to the action and doesn’t distract the reader as so many “Anti-adverbians” dictate. I thought that I would point that out!!

I don’t know why Medic was used instead of Doc? Maybe I missed something, but the change didn’t distract from the story. And the Chandian did refer to the Medic as Doctor?

The dialogue natural and the writing very good. Good sentence length, nothing jumbled together, everything clear and following in a set time-line.

All the elements needed for good story telling are present in this one.

The Enforcers knew that the Chandian would be slaughtered by his brotherhood. So, they released him. An easy solution, cheaper than a trial, maybe!

At some point, artifical limbs and hearts that work as good as the real thing will become the norm! I do believe this. Although, it will be years before the science in the story is an everyday occurrence.

Off-beat sects, nuts and religious fanatics in the future might be just as the story presents. I don't know. But history does seem to show that they will survive, even in a futuristc world.

With such advances in technology, one would wonder why medical robots and robotic nurses were not present?  Just a point that doesn't take from the story.

All in all a very nice read and one that gave us some questions about how fanatics might act as  technology developes in ways that are only science fiction now.

A nice read, easy to follow and one that was enjoyable.

Good job!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “February 2008”