The Body of Isaac Cracklin By Brian C. Petroziello

Tell us what you thought about the March 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: The Body of Isaac Cracklin By Brian C. Petrozi

Post by Megawatts »

The author shows a good command of language, and his writing is directed towards the bizarre in this story. Nice setting and very clear descriptions. Good word choice and usage. And the story read well.

The criticism I have about the story is one of telling too much and not showing. Showing personalities is a technique that I am currently studying and attempting to employ in my writings. It is new ground to me, and I am not sure how to, or when to, or how often to use it. And beyond that, how to write it effectively. Sometimes when I write I feel as if I’m in a dense jungle with many maps at my disposal and they all lead into one another! Then I have to start all over again. Do this--don’t do that---and sometime do this again!

Personally, if a story grabs me and I sink into it I don’t care if it shows or tells! But then again, I’m not a pro, never have been published, and I don’t have a clear handle on ’how to write!’ Additionally, the story had little if any sensory input, and the characters didn’t come alive to me. But guess what? I liked the story!  It was entertaining and that’s all that counts.

Macabre story such as this one with an alien-device in it, marries the old ‘Edgar Allen Poe’ with
modern technology that spurs one to imagine what alien technology, advanced by our standard, might be capable of. Many unexplained events in history could have been alien initiated.

The use of a Taser gun on the amulet’s stone is a nice transition from med-evil magic to the
never ending limits of modern science. Nice touch.

Nice story, well written, enjoyable by me, but lacking the ‘showing’ and ‘sensory’ inputs.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “March 2008”