Spitting Image By E. S. Strout

Tell us what you thought about the March 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Spitting Image By E. S. Strout

Post by Megawatts »

What an exciting new and nebulous world. What will happen as Bio-engineering hones its skills to the point when human cloning is as common as laser-eye surgery?  I’m sure that Hollywood would be among the first to inaugurate it into face-lifts, Lypo-suction, and other beauty-aide!

I’m for cloning, for stem-cell research, for genetic splicing and for all the related areas that can advance us humans.  

Like anything new, the criminal mine will be attracted to it. Just imagine for a moment: A mafia Don has his new born son cloned. When both son and clone reach age twenty-five or so, the clone kills an enemy of the family in broad-daylight while the original is on the Oprah show! That would work if the clone had been kept secret! Get the picture.

This story spurs ones imagination, and the possibilities are limitless!

The story worked Okay, but I think that it was too easy to get Dr. Rogers to agree. If Dr. Rogers were portrayed more towards the old ’Mad Scientist’ type of character but in a modern sense, then it would have been more believable. The subtle “He's a rebel. He resigned rather than give up his genetics studies." didn’t push me to the point of believing that Dr. Rogers would agree with just a short dialogue between him and Jennifer. A little more crafting between Dr. Roger’s desire and Jennifer’s need would have made him more believable, at least to me.

Some sensory input here and there would have help, but the story worked for me.

The science just right, but the dialogue at the beginning might have been polished a little better, but it was Okay.

I like the diary format. Worked in this story.

A fairly well written story that has a good twist to it. And one that tells of a possible outcome to cloning within the family! Nice!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Spitting Image By E. S. Strout

Post by kailhofer »

Another interesting one, Gino.

I enjoyed the read.

I couldn't help but wonder, though, if the daughter would want to settle for the dad. Trying to be "open" minded, Electra complex could possibly count in to a point... but honestly, Dad is past his prime at that point. Not a lot of 24 year-olds have the hots for men twice their age--especially ones that used to change their diapers. Plus there's the social stigma EW!! :P factor.

I realize that she's exactly the woman he fell in love with, but there too, there'd no reason that he would necessarily want the daughter, even if she wanted him. I'd like to think that every dad wants to see their little girl get happily married to some good man someday. Jeez, even lawyers have limits.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “March 2008”