A Dog's Story By Terry Larson

Tell us what you thought about the March 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: A Dog's Story By Terry Larson

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

He could maybe look up Ralph von Wau Wau (from Spider Robinson's Callahan series) and go into business with him -- Canis Consulting Inc., specializing in scents and sensibility.

:o
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I enjoyed this one as well, but did have a few reservations.

Starting with negatives first, I didn't believe that the group would allow Leonard to just let him be adopted in a pet store. I mean, what if he were to breed again with a regular dog. Wouldn't that risk creating hybrids, perhaps ones where the dogs are just smart enough to turn on their masters? Considering the point that one cannot escape genetic desires, that may be moot, but worrisome enough that I can't believe it would be ok. I too was disappointed that he was unable to find something to do that aligned with his genetic disposition, but perhaps the better brain got in the way.

I was let down that we didn't get the opportunity to "see" the world through Leonard's senses. I mean, it would be logical that his perceptions would be different than are own, and more so when you consider that his senses are all sharper than our own. The other thing I thought could be improved is that Leonard doesn't really do much to resolve his conflict himself. He has Laura speak, when he would have been a more dynamic choice to show up on talk shows and before senate subcommittee.

No smart cats? Considering how intelligent they are already, must have made the experimenters nervous... ;)

On the plus side, marvelous idea. I like the conclusions, and the fact that this story is open ended for sequels.

Nice work.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I liked this one. Most it was narration from the first person view-point. The interior monologue worked for me and the writing clear, good word choices, and easy to follow.

I didn’t have any serious complains about the story, but do think that it could be ‘dressed up’ with some humor. Remember, Leonard can speak, think and reason!

Some contact with the average person would have been very interesting! Such as a UPS man making a delivery and Leonard looks at him and says, “Got anything for me, buddy?”

Also when Laura was campaigning for animal rights, she could have used Leonard on a “Talk Show” --Opra maybe-- and the questions and responses from the audience would be nice to hear!

You don’t see an intelligent dog every day, at least not one like Leonard. And at the  pound--a public place--- interaction with children and families looking for a pets would have also been very interesting to hear! Such as Leonard telling a child’s mother, “Hey, take me home and I’ll never pee on the floor!!”

I think the story might have been too serious in some ways, but I did like it and don’t consider that a major flaw!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “March 2008”