What We Said That Day By Dianne Rees

Tell us what you thought about the May 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: What We Said That Day By Dianne Rees

Post by Megawatts »

This was a weird one wrote in the first person. She might have developed schizophrenia and the reader is living though her sickness. But I don’t think so: She is on a spaceship, very alone for a long time, and now she is seeing things, not from Schizophrenia, but from prolonged loneliness. I think there is a difference, but don’t quote me on that one.

The writing good in this one. Everything clear yet not to the point of being simple. Crafted well! That is, the language clear and enjoyable to read, but the story had many outcomes, depending on you own tastes and drives in using imagination. These stories are so thought provoking, in an outcome sense , and one can think up many different scenarios.
The ship's robot whirs out of its closet and gives me a reproachful, if metallic, stare, then sends the waste into another part of space -- I don't want to think where.
The robot could be symbolism, but as to what is means is open. It’s interesting that the robot is mention at the beginning and also at the end of the story. Perhaps she is thinking the robot is alive, like her, as her loneliness takes hold of her mind. She must because she thinks of it as a dog once.

It would have been more realistic if voices and sounds and even odors such as ozone, ricocheted and linger in the air from time to time, but this is only a suggestion.

A nice read and one that I enjoyed very much!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “May 2008”