Inception By E. S. Strout

Tell us what you thought about the May 2008 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Inception By E. S. Strout

Post by Megawatts »

Nice space story and one that answers an old question.

I thought the writing Okay and the characters good.

I love the twist at the end!!!

Good job!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Inception By E. S. Strout

Post by kailhofer »

Better late than never, I guess, to read a story.

Science-wise, this story reads as strong as any I've ever read. At least, as far as a layman like me can tell. But, honestly, I think this story missed the boat. Entirely.

I don't believe that science should be what science fiction should be about. I think it should be about the people struggling to discover the science or deal with it's effect. Science is good, don't get me wrong, and science fiction can't exist without it. It's just not what drives a good story for me.

Who was the main character in this? What traits or actions endeared this person to the audience? What complications did the hero face or overcome? Was there a villain or opposing force? Where was the climax?

There's only so much room in a short to hook a reader and then satisfy them, and I don't believe a story with a focus on the discovery or science can deliver on that. I cared a lot more for the crewman who forgot to scan than any other character, but I don't think that was the intended focus. Screwing up and having to deal with it would have made a good story.

Anyway, my two cents.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “May 2008”