Helen in Wonderland by Robert Moriyama

Tell us what you thought about the May 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Helen in Wonderland by Robert Moriyama

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Actually, Claude had a story where he goes to the Mare VIA a doorway between the Men's and the Ladies' restrooms in an un-named local tavern. The door is only sometimes there. ...
Dan
<br><br>Ain't no such thing as an original idea. Anyway, as I said in the story, the Mare is a regular hangout for time travellers, interdimensional travellers (has C'thulhu ever made an appearance? Would anyone notice if he/it did?), and (probably) gods, demons, etc. (or what people have labelled as such). Space-time is probably seriously bent there, so it isn't all that surprising that people and things and thing-like people and people-like things might literally stumble into the place.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... who were the kids in the time bubble supposed to be?

Kevin
<br><br>They were from D.C. Comics's Legion of Super-Heroes. The Time Bubble has been used throughout the comic's several lifetimes. The kid who used magnetic powers to cheat at games was Cosmic Boy; the blonde who acted as translator and erased the bad guy's memory was Saturn Girl; the green guy was Brainiac 5. Of course, they are nameless in the story due to the usual copyright infringement concerns. (I guess "Katherine Janeway" got to keep her name in another Mare story because the Star Trek franchise has been tolerant of fan fiction (wisely, as fans have kept the Trek universe alive for decades).)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Ecclesiastes 1:9 says pretty much the same thing. Basically it says that everything has already been said and done "...and there is nothing new under the sun."
<br><br>Speaking of which, have you read the Roger Zelazny classic story, "A Rose for Ecclesiastes"?

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

There are quite a number of stories that do not have walk-on characters. Would it not be possible to put a book together that (and I hate to say it) omitted the walk-on stories, or even ask the author of those stories to edit out the walk-on characters, to make it publishable?
<br>Wouldn't it be more advisable to first start with market research, and measure the size of a potential audience?<br><br>I spent some time as a marketing manager. That's usually the first step in a successful strategy.<br><br>(I didn't mean it! That just slipped out! I'm still one of the Creative guys! Get away from me with that wooden steak... AAAAHH!)<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Wouldn't it be more advisable to first start with market research, and measure the size of a potential audience?

I spent some time as a marketing manager. That's usually the first step in a successful strategy.

(I didn't mean it! That just slipped out! I'm still one of the Creative guys! Get away from me with that wooden steak... AAAAHH!)

Nate
<br><br>Wooden steak? See what comes of restricting beef imports from Canada?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Wooden steak? See what comes of restricting beef imports from Canada?
<br>Doh!<br><br>[Chagrin]<br>That's what I get for typing while I'm hungry. :-[
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “May 2004”