Prufrock's Problem

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Prufrock's Problem

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

[quote]<br>If you need me, I'll be throwing myself on my rubber sword. Actually, Prufrock's handling of the situation shows him stuck in one of those stages of grieving -- namely denial! By destroying the video files that demonstrate some of K'th'ch'au's (damned if I can remember where the apostrophes are supposed to go without checking) inhuman qualities, and having the lawn resodded, he hopes to make the incident 'go away'.<br><br>There are two other Prufrock stories that indicate that he eventually gives in to believing in aliens (although he never admits it publicly). Rest assured, however, that (as far as I know) he NEVER comes to believe in ghosts, magic, and the like.<br><br>Robert M.<br>
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I found only one nitpick, a typo in the following passage:

<<He>>

A “well” was omitted here, but no big deal--it’s only a hole in the ground. (So flog me with a limp noodle!)

Good fun story.

Donald
<br><br>I don't get it... A "well" was omitted? Other than providing something for Prufrock to fall into, I don't see how a "well" would be need here.<br><br>Signed<br>Confused in Toronto<br>(a.k.a. Robert M.)

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Dear CIT,

Prufrock says, "We might as introduce ourselves properly." I'm not that great when it comes to grammar, and as written this may be grammatically correct. But to my ear, this sounds better: "We might as WELL introduce ourselves properly." I just assumed that the "well" was inadvertantly ommitted, and jumped on the chance to make a little joke--lame though it was!

Oh WELL, no biggie. Maybe I should have let WELL enough alone.

And no, I wouldn't want Profrock falling into a well; the poor guy's bruised up enough already.

Donald
<br>CIT? Curmudgeon in Training?<br><br>Damn. More proof that a human proofreader is (as Martha Stewart would say) 'a good thing'. Or would have been if he or she had been employed before the story was posted. (The editor at Planet Relish didn't catch this either, and I'm pretty sure that section of the story is exactly the same as it was in the version 'published' there.)<br><br>Robert M.<br>

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I, also, quite liked the story, but do have some comments (anything to get me closer to another star).

In the segment with Edward Johns, I think it would have been more powerful if Edward Johns had tried using someome that Prufrock knew, only to have Prufrock blow him off, this would have made the audience turning on him more believable.

Also, what was the significance of getting Prufrocks name wrong, (Alfred instead of Albert)?
<br><br>The opening scene was actually added at Cary's suggestion -- in the Planet Relish version, it is only described, not shown. In my view, the audience reacted as it did because it consisted of believers who had come to see their hero -- Johns, that is. They represented the polar opposite of Prufrock -- those who are too ready to believe regardless of evidence that contradicts their views -- while Prufrock refuses to believe (or tries to deny even his own experiences) even when something hits him in the face. Hence they were automatically hostile to him, and reacted with anger when their gullibility was pointed out.<br><br>The name thing was (a) a reference to the T. S. Eliot poem, whose central (and only) character is J. Alfred, as opposed to Albert J., and (b) an indication that his presence was an afterthought. Johns was the star attraction and the one Tamyra Oakley treated with respect; Prufrock was just there to provide the illusion of some balance.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Hmm... Interesting story, Robert.<br><br>Not bad. I liked the "Jerry Springer" effect of the talk show on Prufrock's credibility. Life as a heel is a tough row to hoe.<br><br><br>However, now that I've read Prufrock's origins, I have a question about him as he appeared in "A Matter of Faith."<br><br>Is the current Prufrock meant to be the same character, or another character based on the one in this story?<br><br>I ask because after seeing Albert's "de-bunking" skills thwarted in this story by the friendly alien, I would think that despite his efforts to hide it, he would always know that there were things that he was unable to explain. Even if he still thought it was a hoax, down in the deepest reaches of his unconscious he would always know that there were unexplainable things. If that were the case, magic could never be 100% absolutely refuted. There would always be the super-tiniest bit of doubt, I would think.<br><br>Maybe that's enough to work in the Majius universe...<br><br>Just curious.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Hmm... Interesting story, Robert.

Not bad. I liked the "Jerry Springer" effect of the talk show on Prufrock's credibility. Life as a heel is a tough row to hoe.

However, now that I've read Prufrock's origins, I have a question about him as he appeared in "A Matter of Faith."

Is the current Prufrock meant to be the same character, or another character based on the one in this story?

I ask because after seeing Albert's "de-bunking" skills thwarted in this story by the friendly alien, I would think that despite his efforts to hide it, he would always know that there were things that he was unable to explain. Even if he still thought it was a hoax, down in the deepest reaches of his unconscious he would always know that there were unexplainable things. If that were the case, magic could never be 100% absolutely refuted. There would always be the super-tiniest bit of doubt, I would think.

Maybe that's enough to work in the Majius universe...

Just curious.

Nate
<br>Yes, this is the same Prufrock as in A Matter of Faith. (Good lord, it even says so in the blurb!) As I mentioned in an earlier post, the sequel to Prufrock's Problem indicates that Albert (hey! Same first name as Majius!) does eventually acknowledge (to himself, that is) that aliens exist. But he has never run into real magic before (and if the College Masters are right, he never wil againl, in his mana-free universe), and really, REALLY doesn't believe in magic and supernatural creatures.<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 11, 2004, 08:47:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Yes, this is the same Prufrock as in A Matter of Faith. (Good lord, it even says so in the blurb!)
<br>Believe it or not, I can read.<br><br>In consideration for your works, I was giving you a chance at an out before disagreeing with your logic.<br><br>
... he has never run into real magic before (and if the College Masters are right, he never wil againl, in his mana-free universe), and really, REALLY doesn't believe in magic and supernatural creatures.
<br>I doubt that any of us would disagree with the theorem that advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Given this, Albert has seen and experienced something so technologically advanced to be magical, whether or not he will admit to anyone. <br><br>Therefore in principal, it still should have been enough to ruin some of the effect he should have had as a mana sink, perhaps only a minescule amount, but some.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Believe it or not, I can read.

In consideration for your works, I was giving you a chance at an out before disagreeing with your logic.

I doubt that any of us would disagree with the theorem that advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Given this, Albert has seen and experienced something so technologically advanced to be magical, whether or not he will admit to anyone.

Therefore in principal, it still should have been enough to ruin some of the effect he should have had as a mana sink, perhaps only a minescule amount, but some.

Nate
<br>A part of Prufrock's background that got lost 'twixt the original version and this one is that he has studied the works of Houdini and James Randi and is well versed in the techniques used in stage magic and special effects. Hence he views anything that claims to involve supernatural effects as fraudulent as he has a good idea of what can be faked and how it can be done. K'thcha'u, on the other hand, used a few dollars worth of electronic components to jury-rig repairs to a starship. Despite the 'magical' appearance of some of the effects of K'thcha'u's technology, it conformed with science fiction concepts (from Doctor Who, in particular -- Prufrock, as an anglophile, was once a fan, although he now refers to the show as 'that children's show, Doctor Whatsit'), and Prufrock never thought of any of it as supernatural.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I, also, had a problem with that. I would have thought he would like to hold on to the "evidence" so that he could continue to study it, to figure out (or fabricate in his own mind) how it was faked, before destroying it.

Kevin
<br><br>Fabricate how it was faked?? Prufrock is a man of integrity. Ignore the facts? Sure. Deny that something happened? Not a problem! But 'fabricate' an explanation that he doesn't really believe in? The very nerve of you to suggest such a thing! :P<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Take it how I mean it and not how I write it. What, can't you read minds?? :P

I did not mean for Prufrock to intentionally fabricate how K’thcha’u was able to do things. What I meant was that Prufrock could study the tapes etc, and come to a conclusion on how things were faked, even though there would be no proof either way. For instance, when K’thcha’u kept his eyes open the whole time time Prufrock was gone, Profruck could come to the conclusion that it must have been done by K’thcha’u wearing a set of specially moistened contact lenses, so that he did not have to blink. In Prufrocks mind, this would be a very logical explanation, even though it was a fabrication. He is not intentionally fabricating the story, he is simply fitting the facts to something his analytical mind can fit to the world as he knows it to be.

Kevin
<br>What-ever! Seriously, it's nice to see someone post something that ISN'T part of the "editors are mean" / "no, they're not" thing. Anyway, Prufrock is my creation, so he does what I say he does, so there! Neener, neener, neener. (Just trying to raise the level of debate a notch.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

"Prufock is MY creation, and he does what I say he does"<br><br>clearly this doesn't happen to senior critics *snigger, snort, whatEVER* but haven't you ever had one of your 'creations' run away with you? This certainly happens to me all too often - usually when characters meet, I want a certain vibe or idea to come out of the conversation, and move the story forward. Sometimes though, one character says 'that doesn't look natural.'<br> I say, 'I don't care, you're my character and this can be stuff you would say.'<br> Then the character gets all sulky, and grumbles, and I end up desperately trying to force the story to do what I wanted, despite this talk having moved everything in TOTALLY the wrong direction.<br> Just to get back to the topic - I think the stuff at the start was nice characterisation. If it hadn't been there, when Prufrock found the ship, we wouldn't have known about his status as a firm sceptic and it would have been less plausible.<br> I can definitely see this character destroying the tapes - he's in denial. Plus, if someone else ever found them, things would get complicated.<br> I agree with Jaimie on one count though - the mumbled bit at the end was a bit OTT. Still, great, funny story, and something to keep us going while we wait for the next Al Majius!
CameronNeilson
Commenter

Post by CameronNeilson »

I enjoyed this story of Robert's immensely. The character of Prufrock is particularly intriguing. The only critique I could offer up would be to drop the ending. It violates the POV of the entire story, a POV which works because it is from the perspective of Prufrock. I am not against short stories that have alternating POV's, but writing an entire story in one and then offering up a short ending in a complete different POV doesn't seem right. Besides, if the ending of the alien getting laughed at in his home planet were dropped, then we would have the possibility that perhaps this was an elaborate hoax after all, and Prufrock is correct in all of his assumptions. He was correct, after all, about the charlatan on the talk show. I'm not saying make it certain that Prufrock is correct, but add the posibility that he might be. It would add a whole new layer to the story.<br>Well done, Robert, I can't wait to read more!<br><br>-Cameron

Return to “September 2004”