Black Dick by David Alan Jones

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Black Dick by David Alan Jones

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

An interesting take on Hell and ... self-damnation.  With most people ending up in Hell on their own, the forces of darkness need only try to corrupt those who would NOT end up in the Pit on their own (or worse (from the infernal perspective), who might help others escape the 'default' destiny).<br><br>A bit on the preachy side, and the narrator is a little too wise and wonderful to be really likable ... I think it might have been better if he had rejected the offer because, as an artist, the thought that he might produce utter crap and still succeed (and, given the hellish tendency to offer only gold-plated dross, he WOULD produce crap) horrified him.<br><br>Other thoughts:  if he had taken the deal, what would it have done to him to produce truly great literature every time?  Some of the greats are/have been prolific; others have produced a single great work in their entire careers; and, of course, most artists never produce anything great at all.  If Chester had the talent to produce ONE great work, would it have drained him somehow to do so over and over again, left him a husk only animated during the act of creation?<br><br>And the nit that Mr. Sullivan missed -- it's "down the chute", not "down the shoot".  (This is the sort of thing that spellcheckers and even grammar checkers never catch.  You need Anne L. Retentive -- or me -- to proofread for you.)<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 10, 2004, 11:43:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Let me get this right.<br><br>You wrote a fictional story about a real person?? One who can afford to hire happy-suing lawyers? People who could construe consorting with demonic figures, and even negotiating to sell his soul as slander??<br><br>(Even if this person is dead, he has an estate, which can hire lawyers just as easily.)<br><br>I think the answer you want to say is, No. It's just an amazing coincidence!<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on September 11, 2004, 07:53:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Let me get this right.

You wrote a fictional story about a real person?? One who can afford to hire happy-suing lawyers? People who could construe consorting with demonic figures, and even negotiating to sell his soul as slander??

(Even if this person is dead, he has an estate, which can hire lawyers just as easily.)

I think the answer you want to say is, No. It's just an amazing coincidence!

Nate
<br><br>He could put in the standard disclaimer ("Any resemblances to persons living or dead or to real institutions is coincidental"). Anyway, the story wasn't about Delaney or Dick, it was about Chester. The statements made about Delaney are a matter of public record (Hmm. 'A Matter of Public Record' -- a possible Al Majius title? No -- too bureaucratic.) and as such, wouldn't be lawsuit-worthy; Dick is mentioned only in the sense that he has an award named after him (really).<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 11, 2004, 08:52:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

No, I wouldn't dare write a fiction story about a living person (unless I obtained said person's permission).
<br>Perhaps I slipped the groove again. (Skipped a track, for those who don't remember records.)<br><br>As far as using dead real persons, very famous people are in a different category, and not entitled to the same rights of privacy as the rest of us. However, I think anyone who really existed is a dangerous choice for a character. Just because we're penniless writers doesn't mean some lawyer isn't on retainer to stomp anyone who mentions someone's dearly-departed name in a questionable light, or that some fan of theirs won't think that using them amounted to some kind of sacrilege. <br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “September 2004”