There Once Was a Legend About... by J.A. Howe

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

There Once Was a Legend About... by J.A. Howe

Post by kailhofer »

The Destroy the Ring game certainly seems more enjoyable than any Lord of the Rings(TM) game I've ever looked at, and the one year this game takes may be less time than it takes to play the board game!<br><br>This was not a serious story, so a serious critique of it may not be appropriate.<br><br>There was decent amount of funny bits, and a good parody of the Rings Trilogy(TM). All in all, I think it was a farce that was worth the read.<br><br><br>Two things that set me off:<br><br>First, in the first paragraph, there is a parenthetical phrase in the middle of a spoken passage. Did the speaker say "Open parenthesis. Internal Rat Stalkers. Close parenthesis."??<br><br>Second, there were a lot of successive passages of unidentified dialog. I can't stand that. <br><br>Other than that, there wasn't anything else I couldn't overlook. In a story meant to be silly, most of the conventions we follow are silly as well.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

,Re: There Once Was a Legend About... by J.A. Howe

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Pretty funny, for the most part, but with minor mechanical problems, as noted by Nate the K.  The idea of the whole War of the Ring becoming an annual sporting event (and the rights to it having been stolen from the skinny old halfling -- named Mollug, perhaps?) -- was an entertaining one.  Reminiscent in tone of Pratt's Discworld, largely because of the rather Cockney British soccer houligan air of most of the characters.<br><br>What a game!  Everybody in it cheats, or tries to, with results varying according to the level of incompetence of the cheater.  Reminded me of a major professional wrestling event ...<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on August 16, 2004, 04:13:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “August 2004”