And Now, For the Rest...

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: And Now, For the Rest...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I posted something like this on the "Nightwatch" thread, but this actually goes for the entire zine.

We're hearing from the usual suspects on the Lettercol, but what about the rest of you? Writers want as much feedback as they can get. :)

Thanks,
Jeff Williams
<br><br>I'm a suspect? Damn, I could have sworn I cleaned up all the fingerprints, scoured the place to eliminate any DNA traces, etc., etc. (They say the percentage of homicides going unsolved in the Toronto area is rising (although the number of homicides is down). I blame the two (soon to be three) "CSI:" TV series for pointing out all the things you have to worry about leaving at the crime scene.)<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Keyser Soze says he doesn't like all this loose talk. You've been warned.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I object to being called "usual." :)<br><br>How about 'Aphelion's Irregulars?'<br><br><br>In all seriousness, perhaps some of the problem is that folders should be created for all the stories as soon as the issue is put out. I've noticed that folders are slow to appear, but after they are there, a lot of comments are suddenly posted. <br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 12, 2004, 09:30:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I object to being called "usual." :)

How about 'Aphelion's Irregulars?'

In all seriousness, perhaps some of the problem is that folders should be created for all the stories as soon as the issue is put out. I've noticed that folders are slow to appear, but after they are there, a lot of comments are suddenly posted.

Nate
<br>'Irregulars'? I presume you are referring to those ragamuffins (useful, but ragamuffins nonetheless), the 'Baker Street Irregulars' who served as Sherlock Holmes's eyes and ears on the streets of London. Or maybe the 'Dorsai Irregulars', who used to provide paramilitary security at major sf conventions. If, on the other hand, you are referring to our digestive rhythms, see my suggestion about more bran in the diet ...<br><br>I'm not sure if having a bunch of empty folders would necessarily have the effect you have in mind. For one thing, stories that attract NO comments would be more conspicuous that way, causing some distress to their authors ...<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

'Irregulars'?  I presume you are referring to those ragamuffins (useful, but ragamuffins nonetheless), the 'Baker Street Irregulars' who served as Sherlock Holmes's eyes and ears on the streets of London.  Or maybe the 'Dorsai Irregulars', who used to provide paramilitary security at major sf conventions.  If, on the other hand, you are referring to our digestive rhythms, see my suggestion about more bran in the diet ...
<br>Good one. Quite funny.<br><br>I was thinking more of a play on words betwixt our own unusual qualities and the military aspect of soldiers who are not assigned to be part of the regular army units. In this way, Aphelion's Irregulars would be an army of off-beat writers milling around, waiting to spring into action.<br><br>As far as the folders go, how is that fundamentally different from the effect of stories or poems that have no folder created for them at all over the course of the month?<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 12, 2004, 10:33:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

As far as the folders go, how is that fundamentally different from the effect of stories or poems that have no folder created for them at all over the course of the month?

Nate
<br>Well, unless someone makes a direct comparison between the stories listed on the main page (.../index2.htm) and the folders on the lettercol, they will not know specifically which stories are drawing no comments (if they even notice the shortfall in number of folders at all).  On the other hand, if there is a folder with zero comments on Day One when a new edition goes online, and that folder STILL has zero comments when the next edition is announced, it will be obvious that The Cosmic Accordion by Beldar Conetete was either not read at all, or was not worth commenting on.<br><br>That said, I have a major whack of stories to read if I want most authors to get at least ONE comment this month (although you and a few others seem to be picking up the pace).<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on August 12, 2004, 12:53:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I think it would be super if readers commented on stories...
Feedback from fellow writers is certainly valuable, in that it helps us improve our craft. But I, for one, would also appreciate comments--good or bad--from readers.
<br>We all would love to serenaded by some reader who eloquently sang praises of our work. It would fill the nagging doubt that hides deep inside our souls and let us know that we were doing well, and that we could be proud of ourselves.<br><br>I've never received an actual fan letter, mind you, but if the feedback I received from creative writing classes and Lit. clubs readings are any indication of what's out there, you might think twice about a desire for such input:<br><br>The story was really good. I liked the part where the character did the thing, but then it turned out not to be that at all. That was spooky. --The End <br><br>Ok, I picked out the worst one, but none of them were very articulate. Hearing that something "was good" made my ego feel better, but after that, I started hoping for comment from writers over readers.<br><br>Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

As I looked at the member list this evening, I noticed something.<br><br>9 of the 64 members account for 763 posts out of 1,018 total since April.<br><br>That means we few, we happy few, do three-quarters of the posting (and that Robert needs a hobby since he has a fifth of them by himself ;).)<br><br>Now, clearly, we're a bunch of loudmouths :), but it seems like there ought to be a higher membership if the zine gets two hundred unique hits a day.<br><br>I assume we'd all like there to be more members, because we all want more chances for feedback on our stories or poems (I know I do). There is a wonderful sense of community amongst the grumbling nitpickers around here (myself included), but I can't see anyone being turned away.<br><br>Does anyone have suggestions as to what can be done to a) increase membership, and b) coax more people into commenting? I think more people have commented in August than previously, but, personally, I'd love to have even more folks hanging around to the point that rest of the world finally realizes what a grand place this is for writers.<br><br>Jeff posts calls for input, but I can't say how many people besides the 64 members ever see them. We need a way to bring in people who aren't members already.<br><br>Guerilla Marketing was never my strongest subject, and I certainly don't expect that members will start traveling the globe to setup Aphelion booths at Cons--we're poor authors, after all. <br><br>TaoP did some contacts, as I recall, to have us listed as an exposure site.<br><br>I don't know of any news service that would care if we put out news releases, and no one can afford to put up banner ads. Does anyone have pull with anyone at writers digest or other resource sites?<br><br>Is there a way to link the board with the stories so that some of the comments can follow the stories, and thereby entice more responses from the readership?<br><br>What else can be done? Any suggestions?<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 20, 2004, 12:43:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

As I looked at the member list this evening, I noticed something.

9 of the 64 members account for 763 posts out of 1,018 total since April.

That means we few, we happy few, do three-quarters of the posting (and that Robert needs a hobby since he has a fifth of them by himself ;).)

Nate
<br>As I said to Greg in another thread, I'm chasing that damn fourth star. I'm beginning to think that Rob Wynne is watching my count and upping the 4-star threshold every time I get close. (Yes, it's all about ME ME ME. If you feel dizzy in my presence, it's because the world is revolving around ME.) So we who post a lot and pursue that next star are just a bunch of 'Star Whores'. (Joke repeated from other thread. If Lucas is gonna sue me, I might as well be as guilty as possible.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Does that mean you're planning to retire once you've obtained your fifth star? Or maybe you could re-register and start again. It'd be like clocking an old-fashioned computer game. I wonder how it will feel to be lapped.
<br>From the looks of things, the sun may die a natural death before ANYBODY earns a fifth star.<br><br>Brings to mind that line from 'The Impossible Dream' (signature tune from Man of La Mancha, the Don Quixote musical): ' ... to reach the unreachable star ...'<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I prefer quality over quantity. :-)
<br>So you'll be the J. D. Salinger of the lettercol (or almost) instead of the Asimov, King, or Koontz -- your posts will be eagerly received as rare treasures. Well, somebody had to take the Reclusive Genius role; I guess you have dibs on it now.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Well, somebody had to take the Reclusive Genius role; I guess you have dibs on it now.
<br>Well, if we have to reserve it, I call curmudgeon! :)<br><br>Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Well, if we have to reserve it, I call curmudgeon! :)

Nate
<br>Let's see -- we still need the Brash Young Iconoclast, the Impractical Idealist, the Scholar, the Technogeek, the Technopeasant, the Girl Next Door, the Street-wise Tough Chick, ... you know, the Usual Suspects.<br><br>Hello, is this Central Casting? We're filling slots for Cliche Characters on a lettercol / bulletin board. You can get people started on auditioning by making a bunch of posts to establish what role they'd be best for.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

One member mentioned in a previous post (sorry, haven't bothered to look up who/where) that they were reluctant to post because it seemed like there was a bit of an in-crowd here. This perception may come from the familiarity with which people exchange thoughts.

I think everyone would agree there is no in-crowd, in the sense that everyone is happy to hear from new people. And most of the familiarity (if not all) comes solely from this forum.
<br><br>Yes, we're always eager to find new victims -- er, friends, I meant friends.  We would never be mean to anyone brave enough -- I mean anyone who dared -- I mean anyone who has something to say, about stories or poems in Aphelion, about writing, or about the state of the world in general.<br><br>Well, okay, we'd be mean, but we'd welcome snarky replies to our meanness.  It's more fun when the prey puts up a fight.;D  (Oh, damn.  Did I just think that, or did I actually include it in the post?)<br><br>Robert M.<br>
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on August 20, 2004, 11:48:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

One member mentioned in a previous post (sorry, haven't bothered to look up who/where) that they were reluctant to post because it seemed like there was a bit of an in-crowd here. This perception may come from the familiarity with which people exchange thoughts.
<br>I believe that member was me.<br><br>See what happens when you make me feel welcome? :)<br><br>Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Last night when I stopped in to check the messages I saw that there were 13 guests logged in besides myself and Dan.<br><br>13 at the same time? What's up with that? Was someone putting us up on some Internet cafe or something??<br><br>Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

If people are being put off by the "Close-Nit Group" appearence of most posts to the Lettercol, please don't be.
Dan
:D
<br>Not only are we close to being nits, we're halfway to being wits!<br><br>Oh, for an automatic spell-checker (and colloquial expression / cliche validator) on the lettercol ...<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Thank god that *someone* got the pun.
Dan
<br>Ah, yes, the PeeWee Herman "I meant to do that" defense. I use it quite often myself (viz. my responses to criticisms of my stories) ...<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “August 2004”