Three Small Poems By Steven Utley

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

janis
Commenter

Post by janis »

Three Small Poems By Steven Utley <br><br>Although the “Cosmic Order” was ok, I didn’t care for the other two poems. I think his poems in previous issues were more complex and filling than these. <br>
I don't take drugs: I am drugs. ~ Salvador Dali
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Three Small Poems By Steven Utley

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Although the “Cosmic Order” was ok, I didn’t care for the other two poems.  I think his poems in previous issues were more complex and filling than these.
<br><br>"Filling"? I guess this was "lite" poetry. These tidbits remind me of those epigrammatic little things by (I think) Piet Hein(?), or maybe Shel Silverstein.<br><br>'Ode to the First Pedestrians' raises some paleontological / anthropological questions ... I thought all the humans in the Americas were descendants of those who migrated across the Bering Land Bridge. Oh, wait -- maybe that's what he's saying when he says they 'took the long way around' (north from Africa through Europe and Asia, across the land bridge, then south, south, south, until they ran out of land). In the immortal words of Emily Littela, 'Never mind.'<br><br>Re: Receding Blues, wouldn't the speaker still be blue no matter how fast he was going? Only from the viewpoint of the observer (assuming she was watching him leave) would he red-shift ... ;)<br><br>Robert M.<br><br><br>
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Three Small Poems By Steven Utley

Post by kailhofer »

I thought all the humans in the Americas were descendants of those who migrated across the Bering Land Bridge.
<br>Recent archeological study has called the Land Bridge and the ice-free corridor theory into some doubt. While it certainly is true that people migrated across and through from Asia, evidence suggests that European Paleolithic peoples may have been here before that. Said evidence centers mainly on the Clovis point, a style of stone spear tip. Clovis points are found in sites that date to before the Land Bridge, and are surprisingly similar to ones made by the Solutrean peoples of northern Europe. The new theory states that since the northern icecap during the Ice Age was also large enough to connect North America with Europe, there is evidence to suggest that people hunting Walrus along the edge of the ice could have easily migrated to America that way, before the Siberian connection.<br><br>There was an excellent Scientific American Frontiers episode about it. You can see it online, I believe, or at least read a transcript at<br>http://www.pbs.org/saf/previous.htm<br><br>The episode title was "Coming into America."<br><br>Just FYI.<br><br>Nate<br>
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “August 2004”