Nightwatch: Rogue Harvest by Ralph Benedetto, Jr.

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Nightwatch: Rogue Harvest by Ralph Benedetto, Jr.

Post by kailhofer »

This installment of Nightwatch is an enjoyable read.<br><br>It was skillfully crafted, giving even better descriptions and details than in Alconost. The plot progressed, for the most part, logically and at good pace. Characterization was strong, and there was good depth added to Simon and Stephanie. The dialog was good and frequently witty.<br>Three stars, a knife & a spoon. :)<br><br>Rogue Harvest cemented two of Simon's character traits, a love of women and a penchant for annoying the villain (making him similar in that respect to Al Majius). Also brought out as a subplot was the concept of aging and the spy. This really did a good job of adding appeal to Simon, as heroes need to be endearing. If this were meant to be a standalone story, I would recommend moving that bit to the beginning, but as it was, it was good for future 'episodes.'<br><br>A few items I noticed:<br>"Andy", a character I did not notice in the series bible, who helps Tom smuggle the addled fellow out of the hospital. Until Tom referred to him later, I thought it was Simon.<br><br>As far as Tom's black clothes, I believe that quite a few people wear black in Nigeria, if you check.<br><br>Stephanie is dropped off at a 'cover' to tap into the phone lines. No real description is given to where she really is. I thought it confusing.<br><br>Tom pushes the button on the 'hammer,' not the 'jammer.'<br><br>After the clever way Stephanie gets Giesel to tell her his authorization code, I was disappointed that she didn't seem to use it for anything.<br><br>When they sneaked up on the hidden entrance, I guess it was lucky no one in Africa installs motion sensors. ;)<br><br>Stephanie really is something if she can whip up a ground penetrating radar like that. The only one I know that works that well is the radar on the Space Shuttle!<br><br>Why wouldn't Tom go down the hatch?<br><br>At one point, we read what Stephanie is thinking. Are there any other instances of 3rd person omnipotent perspective in the series? If so, I missed it.<br><br>Divers get sore throats from breathing pure oxygen or oxy-helium mixes for long periods of time, but it certainly doesn't kill them. Why again do we require large amounts of CO2 to breathe?<br><br>I think a real flaw in the Nightwatch series is the villains. Once again, I was disappointed when a scientist suddenly turns thug & tries to kill the good guys. My newspaper training screams, "Follow the money!" <br><br>No minor research scientist that I know of is capable of swinging the financing of such an operation, especially secretly. I'm assuming that he was planning on selling the nasty plants on the black market, and I don't know if Joe Nowhere Scientist could be accepted by that crowd. If instead he was just nuts, he certainly didn't seem capable of attracting the fanatics necessary to pull it off.<br><br>So there again, where is the money coming from? Where is the "S.P.E.C.T.R.E." of the Nightwatch universe?<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Nightwatch: Rogue Harvest by Ralph Benedetto,

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

At one point, we read what Stephanie is thinking. Are there any other instances of 3rd person omnipotent perspective in the series? If so, I missed it.

Divers get sore throats from breathing pure oxygen or oxy-helium mixes for long periods of time, but it certainly doesn't kill them. Why again do we require large amounts of CO2 to breathe?
<br>The very first scene in the series involved Simon reviewing his past as illustrated by the scars on his hands (as a way to escape the boredom of an unproductive part of an overlong meeting). We also 'overhear' his urge to smack McReady upside the head on more than one occasion. (Sigh) How quickly they forget ...<br><br>On the CO2 issue, as Jeff has indicated, CO2 levels affect the breathing reflex. Divers get sore throats mainly because the bottled gases are too damn dry; pure oxygen is actually very hard on tissues (babies in incubators can actually suffer burn-like injuries and blindness from too much oxygen), but nitrogen comes out of solution and forms bubbles in the blood when pressure diminishes ('the bends'), so other inert gases are used in deep-diving mixtures (e.g. helium). I suspect that diving gear somehow retains some of the CO2 generated by the diver ...<br><br>Of course, plant metabolism uses CO2 as a source of building materials, so the evil soybeans would starve other crops by binding CO2 so efficiently. This might actually result in a net DECREASE in oxygen output. Ah, climate and ecology are tricky things!<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

...so other inert gases are used in deep-diving mixtures (e.g. helium). I suspect that diving gear somehow retains some of the CO2 generated by the diver ...
<br><br>So, in other words, you don't know why divers are ok either? :)<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

So, in other words, you don't know why divers are ok either? :)

Nate
<br>(Grumble grumble) I could look it up, I suppose. But then so could you. Any SCUBA-qualified readers out there? Do they explain how this works during the training?<br><br>Robert M.<br>

Jack London (1876-1916)
doc
WebMaven

Post by doc »

While the SCUBA question is germane, aren't there also some people who would like to provide more comments on the actual story?
<br><br>Go away. Can't you see we're nitpicking?? :)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

One more story to make my life difficult!

I have to *follow* you guys! And this is a winner - thanks Ralph!

Kate
<br>Being followed by them (and one- and then two-upped) ain't no picnic, either. I dread the moment when I read your story, as I'm sure it will only make my feelings of inferiority worse!<br><br>When Jeff said writing the first story was a thankless task, he was putting it mildly.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Without your story, I doubt we would have had any of the others.  I know at least a couple of the writers who personally told me that they gained a greater understanding of Nightwatch after reading "Dragon's Egg."
<br>Would that there constitute a 'thank'? Then the task was not entirely 'thankless' after all.<br><br>Robert M.<br>

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

By squishy, do you mean like Danielle Steele, or do you mean one of the protagonists will be crushed by a 16 ton weight before the end of the story?  ;)

--Jeff
<br>Or we could have the Nightwatch crew investigating the sudden appearance of an island in the Pacific, with strange, Cyclopean architecture and statues of tentacle-faced monsters ... I mean, C'thulhu would be a pretty squishy guy -- er, thing -- wouldn't he/it?  So -- Elder God meets girl, Elder God loses girl and is utterly undone by how much he/it misses her, Elder God devours girl -- that would be a squishy romance in more ways than one!;D<br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on August 24, 2004, 02:18:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

By squishy, do you mean like Danielle Steele, or do you mean one of the protagonists will be crushed by a 16 ton weight before the end of the story?  ;)

--Jeff
<br>Sixteen tons<br>And what do you get<br>A whole lot squishier<br>But still in debt ...<br><br>Robert M.<br>(Was there a particular reason for choosing a 16 ton weight? Wouldn't one of the classic Acme anvil sizes do (1000 lbs., 5000 lbs.)? They always did an adequate job of flattening Wile E. Coyote ...)

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “August 2004”