The Face Overhead

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Face Overhead

Post by kailhofer »

I seem to be missing several important IQ points this afternoon as I read this story.

This is cute and all, but what exactly is it a satire of?

Help!

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

"We know what's best for you." That was the central tenet of the Face's rule, and indeed, with the Face preventing crime, war, etc., the world as a whole functioned better. viz. White Man's Burden, Pax Romanorum, Pax Britannica, American Manifest Destiny, etc. ... or the neo-con New World Order, where U.S. law applies everywhere (unless it's inconvenient for the U.S.), but a U.S. signature on a treaty means nothing.

"We know what's best for us -- and them." The rebels felt that eliminating the Face and going back to their old ways justified nuking most of the planet.

In both cases, the underlying trope dates back to the Vietnam-era declaration, "we had to destroy the village to save it". The feelings of the villagers on the matter were considered to be irrelevant.

Or ... think of it as a satire on (say) Heinlein's "Fifth Column", except in this case, the brave and ingenious rebels destroy much of what they purportedly wish to liberate. (Or suppose all the cities on Luna had been ruptured in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", but Miguel and Wyoming still declared victory.)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

A pleasantly amusing little story.  My wife and I would have been OK - we both know sign languaage.
Ah, but it has been pointed out (was it Crichton in "Congo", or maybe Streiber in "Wolfen") that there are many versions of sign language, and they are sufficiently different that an American and a Brit or Aussie might find each other mutually incomprehensible. You know, sort of the way it is now with spoken language...

;D
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2007”