Vishnu's Beer Garden by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Vishnu's Beer Garden by McCamy Taylor

Post by Megawatts »

‘Sank his incisors into Danny’s neck!’  Boy did I think this one was going to be the old Vampire sucks blood story, but it wasn’t.

All the elements of story telling were present in this one. Good description, believable setting, characters that became real and some action with the gargoyle and the girl. Enough to balance the story out, since much of it was explaining. Most vampire type stories have the vampires explaining about God, existence, religion---sometime long dialogues with their victims before the final bite---so much that the vampires become too stereotyped and I can’t finish the read!

This story was a breath of fresh air. Virgil was not a vampire, but came from a vampire’s bloodline, yet through training, his powers were guided for the good of mankind! Nice.

Danny having to wear sunglasses, foreshadows a vampire’s endowment through a bloodline---vampires can’t stand the sun or, apparently, bright light!

Virgil became Danny’s mentor and tells Danny the true meaning of power and how it should be used for the good.

Psychiatric hospitals are present in many Vampire stories, and I’m assuming that Danny took Emily Dougherty to the local one because she attempted to cut her wrists. A modern institution that had coffee and donuts, nice nurses-----nothing like bedlam of old England, but keeping some form of a madhouse in a Vampire seems to support that story more. Just a personal taste maybe.

Nice read!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “December 2007”