Three Oranges by Joel Doonan

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Three Oranges by Joel Doonan

Post by kailhofer »

Some really lovely imagery. The race storyline was great. Very interesting to read. However, I kept waiting for the real story to start.

When things kick off, the main character is in a dream where he needs to see more. "Always more." were the words used. To me, that said this story was about the hero (was he ever named?) fulfilling his need to always see more. To be satisfied at last, and not seek continued experience or visions.

However, I didn't sense that the hero ever got that. True, he was looking forward to going back to school and writing the adventure up in a journal, but not that he wouldn't go out seeking more. From that perspective, this story failed to reach it's goal, at least as I saw it. The character didn't achieve growth, or complete his arc.

I would have thought his growth is what he would have striven for with the journey as the backdrop, and that would be the real story, rather than just the tale of the journey itself. That is, unless I missed it.

Still, lovely imagery. Kudos on that.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “December 2007”