The Feb. issue is online

Tell us what you thought about the December 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Short Story Editor

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Congratulations, Robert, on becoming Short Story Editor!
You're in the Editorial Mafia--you've been "made."

Your dedication to Aphelion in the form of hundreds of messages and so very many stories has been recognized--the job's yours. Good for you.

(Although it reminded me of the post about the threshold levels of stars where Dan quipped that four stars was "Staff Member Wannabe". In your case, that seems to have worked out. :))

Also, a thank you to Cary. His devotion and care in cultivating a crop of great stories each month truly showed, and I appreciated it, both as a writer and a reader.

Nate
<br><br>I must second your thank you to Cary (and McCamy, too). I've only been really working at this for the past month or so (procrastination 'r' us), and it ain't easy. I'm trying to standardize spelling and punctuation a bit, and providing 'edited' versions of files for the authors to approve, revise, or reject (wait until it's YOUR turn. Bwahahahahaha!).<br><br>We shall see how long it is before the masses rise up and demand that I be replaced by some other Senior Critic ... say, YOU have four stars, Nate ...<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Short Story Editor

Post by kailhofer »

I don't see much surprise being expressed over Robert appearing as an Aphelion editor. Was this the worst kept secret in Aphelion history, or did we all assume he was politicking to get in that big gold door :)?
<br>It may have been a security breach, but Robert warned me. <br><br>I thought about trying to stop him, but he could have used his new Voldemort-like powers to strike me down, or worse, immortalize me as an inept magic salesman or baldy in his Al Majius series. [shudder]<br><br>There comes a time when you have to duck & cover and hope for the best. ;)<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on February 09, 2005, 10:36:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Feb. issue is online

(Sigh). Bone Up Yar was in the Serials and Novellas section -- Jeff Williams's fiefdom, not mine. I have been converting underlined text to italics in SHORT stories as I HTML them.<br><br>Rich Text Format and Microsoft Word Format both support italics, so (assuming you are using a word processing program rather than a pure text editor), you CAN use italics if you want to (as far as I'm concerned, anyway). Note that this may NOT be true when submitting to other publications -- always RTFG (read the f---ing guidelines).<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... I can only think of 4 stories in all of Aphelion's run so far that I've had to reject entirely on the grounds of *too much* adult content. But when a third of Aphelion's readers are school-age children, I find that I have responsibilities to go along with my Editorial powers...

Dan
<br>Adult content? Like intelligent, balanced political debate? Yeah, I can see where people would sue you for running too much of THAT kind of outrageous trash.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... After I made the post immediately preceding this one, I thought of a question: Dan, do you read the stuff that the editors pass on to you for posting (if you have time), so you can see for yourself whether there's anything too 'adult'? Or do you just trust the judgment of the Editorial oyabun (that would be the Yakuza equivalent of your lieutenants or underbosses)?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

But when a third of Aphelion's readers are school-age children, I find that I have responsibilities to go along with my Editorial powers.
<br>Hmm? I have never heard this statistic before. How school-age are you talking here? Upper high school? Middle school?<br><br>A third of them? Do you have any demographic numbers that you could let us know?? This is not the audience I thought I was writing for.<br><br>(This is setting off my own self-censorship alarms. I have a few racy bits in my Nightwatch that I wouldn't want my 11 year-old son to read yet. A 16 or 17 year-old, ok, sure. They should be mature enough… I think.)<br><br>Writing for young adult readers is fine, as long as you know you’re doing it. That's a good market, and they'll have enough money to buy books sooner or later. Besides, I suppose if I can't get the current generation of editors to buy, I might as well plant the seeds in the next...<br><br>Nate
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

...I get e-mails from some of the younger readers. Maybe one or three messages a year. Most of them telling me that they want to grow up to be writers some day. (Some of the more frightening ones want to grow up to be Nate! LOL!)...

Dan
<br>'Grow up to be Nate'? Isn't that one of those oxymoron things? Like 'jumbo shrimp', 'military intelligence' (sorry, Kate), 'honest politician' ... 'Nate' 'grown up'?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Some of the more frightening ones want to grow up to be Nate!
<br>Yes... It's working...<br>Soon all the little ones will want to be just like me... Bwahahaha!<br><br>:o I have only one thing to say to such a notion: Be afraid. Be very afraid.<br><br>Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

'Grow up to be Nate'?  Isn't that one of those oxymoron things?  Like 'jumbo shrimp', 'military intelligence' (sorry, Kate), 'honest politician' ... 'Nate' 'grown up'?

Robert M.
<br><br>Nicely done. 'Bout time you fired back.<br><br>(Boy, the things you gotta do to get a rise out of these guys after they become big-wigs... :))<br><br>Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... On the other hand, a bitchin' gunfight suits me just fine.

Dan E.
<br>Or, as it turns out, a bitchin' towel fight. This is a teaser for a story of Dan's that will appear next month. Please proceed with the whisper campaign to generate buzz starting (3 ... 2 ... 1 ...) NOW!<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
KBannerman
Commenter

Re: Skywatchers by K. Bannerman

Post by KBannerman »

Loved it! It was so nice to just 'drop' reality away and enjoy Sadie's life...sounded so familiar....
<br><br>Thanks muchly, Jim! So glad you enjoyed it! <br><br>Kim
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Snake, the Bald Man, and the Baby

...By the way, the title tells me there‘s a snake in the story, but somehow I missed the slithery varmint.. I’ll probably feel foolish as heck when I find out where it is in the story. :-)

Donald
<br>Y'know, having read the story more than once, you'd think I would be able to remember why there was a snake in the title. Thank the deity of your choice for the CTRL-F 'find' function. Newen wears a silver snake-shaped amulet around his neck --<br><br>Still, every morning he clasped the silver snake amulet that hung from his neck and swore allegiance to his homeland.<br><br>and later<br><br>He clutched the silver snake amulet in his free hand and prayed.<br><br>So the snake is a symbol of the New Zealander culture and religion (and thus, to be all 'literary', Newen's bigotry). Greg, am I right? Close? COMPLETELY OFF BASE?<br><br>Robert M.<br><br>

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2004”