Bicycle Mike by Mark Knight

Tell us what you thought about the December 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Bicycle Mike by Mark Knight

Post by kailhofer »

A right happy tale, this one. Full of hope and cheer. :P<br><br><br>All in all, this was an ok horror story. The setting was thick with descriptives, but I didn't notice any smells (and I was ok with that, trust me). Mike wasn't an extremely sympathetic character, but it was clear that he was sorely afflicted by the demon boarder in his eye. <br><br>The transition in the description of his mother to Cynthia confused me for a minute to make sure whether or not they were the same person.<br><br>I don't know if I could pick the cause why he chose to turn against Tad at that particular moment. He swung at Dave and happened to miss, so up until then, he was still with the evil program. Nevertheless, he consciously chose his ending, and I have great respect for that. Tad found a new host, but Mike didn't know that would happen when he selected for his fate.<br><br>Mike had a robotic, controlled speech pattern, but the disdain and venom of Dave was very much like that of Tad. One of the two could have used a different voice.<br><br><br>As nits go, pretty minor. A supernaturally "human" drama with good descriptives, a shocking and conscious choice that lead to the resolution of conflict, and a genre-based ability for evil to prevail anyway. <br><br>Horror fans, keep an eye out for this author. :o<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “December 2004”