Jumping Off Point by Robert Starr

Tell us what you thought about the December 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Jumping Off Point by Robert Starr

Post by kailhofer »

I hope that every reader out there has experienced the sensation described in this story--that momentary sense of oneness with the universe, that feeling that the world is some wondrous machine or process that will turn out right after all, in spite of anything we mere humans do to muck it up.<br><br>I was paddling by myself in a canoe on a placid lake on a breathtaking early morning, watching a bald eagle take off from it’s perch in a tree, just ten feet above my head, when I was so moved. <br><br>I could not describe such a sensation at the time, and I think that a story that captures such a feeling was a great idea. I don’t mean to say it was anything brought on by lurking aliens, wood sprites, or gods, just that it was a good sensation that every person should get to feel at least once in their lives.<br><br>Such an emotional high juxtaposed with a countering tragedy strikes deeply, especially given Dan’s recent loss, and I hope that this account was in no way autobiographical for you, Rob.<br><br><br>On setting, things were a bit scant. Also, perhaps if there were some way to have described the world more from Larry’s perspective, it might have then added to the effect after the main character is revisited by his “sensation”, and then things could be seen through his eyes. Good use of the cold, fluorescent lamp to set the mood in the house.<br><br>The drama was very human, in spite of all the supernatural trappings. A man tries to help his brother see hope, that life is more than his brother thought, and fails. In trying to do it, he received his revelation that we’re not alone, and hurries to try again, but it is too late. Well done.<br><br>I had a little trouble swallowing the conclusion--perhaps my own mind is not big enough--it sounded a little preachy to me, rather than a wrap up. I can’t think of a suggestion that would improve upon it, so perhaps I am wrong. <br><br><br>A very good read, and thought-provoking.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “December 2004”