Taunting the Sea by Steven Utley

Tell us what you thought about the July 2004 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Taunting the Sea by Steven Utley

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I don't usually read the poetry (I know, I'm a Philistine, or a Philadelphian, whatever), but I wanted to see if the author was who I thought it was, so ...<br><br>My goodness, Aphelion has attracted an actual pro, with multiple stories placed in such Holy Markets as Asimov's, and honest to goodness BOOKS to his name. I buy Asimov's regularly, but often never get around to reading it (schmuck -- the sound of a cupped hand striking the forehead), but I DO remember reading and enjoying some of Mr. Utley's stories.<br><br>From the rhythm and structure of Taunting the Sea, I suspect that it was written as a song lyric, either to an existing tune (in which case I wonder what it was) or an original melody ... Mr. Utley, am I correct on this? Anyway, it had a certain Shel Silverstein / Lewis Carroll twinkle in its metaphorical eye, and was a lot of fun to read.<br><br>Dan, no doubt you are already chortling over the fact that not only does Aphelion breed pro writers, it attracts 'em even after they're pulling in significant dollars. Mr. Utley, thanks again for contributing to Dan and Co.'s labor of love. Y'all come back now, y'hear? (And tell any other pros you happen to be chatting with that Aphelion's a nice place to visit ...)<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “July 2004”