The Tree Wife

Tell us what you thought about the July 2004 issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

The Tree Wife

Post by kailhofer »

First off, someone may wish to check the spelling on Ms. Korr/Korri's name on the title page vs the text. It seems to be missing an "I" on the end on the title page if the spelling in the text is right.<br><br><br>I liked this story.<br><br>It followed the "rules" of a folktale. That is, you knew her love, Praetor would come back after all the years to try and save her. You knew Mae's mother wouldn't get away with a deception of the forces of nature represented in the Great Mother... But apart from that, you really didn't know what would happen. It was equally likely that Mae would wind up with her love after all & stick her mom with the job.<br><br>As a minor in Anthropology myself, I couldn't help notice the placement of traditional artifacts in the Shaman's home, and its predictable location in the sacred grove away from the rest of the huts. But given the gender of the Tree Wife's position of authority, I'm not certain if such a village would have followed a patriarchal oligarchy pattern of government. It may have been more logical to have a matriarchal society instead, but it certainly is not unheard of.<br><br>Nevertheless, this is a worthy story to read. The villlage characters' interactions are good, and believable in such a setting.<br><br>The two minor nits I found with it were in vocabulary choices, which could be explained by saying that this is a different world, and words mean different things there.<br><br>First, the rain "beat a loud tattoo on the leaves."<br><br>Second, Hector's throat was "patched"? "Parched," perhaps?<br><br>And those were my only nits with it. Good job.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Tree Wife

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

... The two minor nits I found with it were in vocabulary choices, which could be explained by saying that this is a different world, and words mean different things there.

First, the rain "beat a loud tattoo on the leaves." ...
Nate
<br><br>Up in ye Frozen North, where British/Scottish tradition is more common, a major event featuring Scottish drum-and-bugle corps (marching bands in kilts, that is, with drums, bugles, and, of course, bagpipes) is called a tattoo. (Presumably, it's also called that in Scotland and other places with significant populations of Scots ancestry.)<br><br>Hence "a loud tattoo" would be a sound reminiscent of drumbeats (bass and snare). Dunno about bugle-like sounds, unless you count the bleating of jakobs (or (I presume) goats, to us modern folk).<br><br>A well-written piece, rich in the kind of everyday detail that Ms. Korri had to reconstruct in her work as an archaeologist. As for the oddity of the Tree Wife's role as healer and wise woman while men run the show -- this is not inconsistent with millennia of human history. Power went to the male of the species long before wisdom; you could look at this situation as a prototypical separation of church (and learning) and state! It should be noted that the role of the Tree Wife carries great responsibility -- but virtually no political power.<br><br>Reminiscent of (I think) Jane Yolen (although I haven't read much of her work), and maybe Tanya Huff, particularly in the female empowerment theme reflected in Mae's refusal to be rescued from what she views as her responsibilities to the village.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

-- this is not inconsistent with millennia of human history. Power went to the male of the species long before wisdom;
Robert M.
<br><br>Matriarchal and matrilineal societies DID exist and to some extent still do exist. Historically, the male of the species did not (and does not now) always dominate the power base.<br> <br>A few notible ones:<br>Iroquois tribes of North America--women nominated and removed men from "ruling" councils (although not serving on said councils)<br>Also in North America, the Choctaw.<br>The Berbers in northern Africa.<br>The Minangkabau in Sumatra.<br>The Lahu and Mosuo in China. <br><br>I could have a few cobwebs in my memory banks on these; I was always more into physical anthropology than cultural. Nevertheless, you may wish to rephrase that.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Nate<br><br>I bow to your (and Ms. Korri's) far greater expertise in matters anthropo- and archaeo-logical. I was, however, thinking mainly of European cultures, where the Mother-goddess religions were displaced by worship of male-centric pantheons (and priestesses of the former were relegated to the roles of healers and wise women -- with responsibility, but no power -- if they were not branded witches). Ms. Korri -- comments?<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

Hey Rob - where's our 'what's a critic?' topic about your three stars? Congratulations.<br> And so I don't get too far off-topic -<br>This was very rich in detail. It told you a lot about the culture without a heavy opening telling, not showing, and that can be hard to do. It was very unpredictable. The ending was plausible, if a little depressing - Mae seemed very aware of her own responsibilities.

Return to “July 2004”