A Matter of Faith by Robert Moriyama

Tell us what you thought about the June Issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: A Matter of Faith by Robert Moriyama

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Kevin<br><br>Actually, Prufrock as a character has existed a lot longer than Al Majius. The story that introduced him to the world, Prufrock's Problem, appeared in Titan webzine more than 10 years ago, and an updated version of that story actually made me a few $ when Planet Relish webzine bought it last year (and subsequently folded. Coincidence?). Prufrock actually shows himself to be something of a believer in extraterrestrials (but not magic) in a sequel to Prufrock's problem (Prufrock: Mummy's Boy) that so far hasn't appeared anywhere ...).<br><br>Perhaps I should submit Prufrock's Problem to Aphelion to see if people here like it ...<br><br>I'm not sure if an object or artifact from Prufrock's world would carry an "anti-magic" charge ... unless, of course, enough people *believed* that it did. On the other hand, a wizard might be able to create a kind of mana sink (object that absorbs magical energy) using something from Prufrock's world. The trick would be containing the effect so that it wouldn't cripple the user as well. Sa-a-ay -- if you gave it to someone without Talent (Janine or even Billy), *that person* could carry it and use it without being affected ...<br><br>This might be a factor in The Big Brawl (Al and friends against Morgenstern), which will have to take place sometime soon.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I wanted to wait until I'd read all the Al Majius stories before commenting. Took most of a day (that darn boss kept coming into my office and wanting me to actually do the things he was paying me for :-) ).<br><br>Darn good stuff, this is. It is very entertaining and the characters interesting. It is a universe that has a diverse set of evil forces as well as good, which makes it all the more compelling.<br><br>I have 2 questions and 2 nits about the whole series.<br>Q1-How do you pronounce Majius? Is it MAg-E-Us, or Mad-jI-us, or something in between?<br><br>Q2-As I recall, In 'A Matter of Degrees' Al is given the title of Magister-Elect, and I believe is not referred to as a Magister after that point. What technically does the title 'Magister' mean?<br><br>Nit1-Janine at first is not very enthusiastic about Al's magic business and what it does to their house, but later gets on board (in more ways than one). Here in 'A Matter of Faith' she seems somewhat more like her original self. She's unhappy about the damage to the table, whereas in 'Dark Matters' she was destroying furniture herself to be ready for the baldies and was fine with the breakage. <br><br>Nit2-I've met an awful lot of miscreants in my life. They were colorful, even the ones who were more serious about their petty crimes, and I had no problem with jocularity when talking to them. However, the two truly evil people I've known are quite another matter. One turned into a child kidnapper with a nation-wide manhunt (the creep was caught & the girl was safe, thank goodness). The other turned drug dealer and went to prison as an accessory in the overdose death of the user. <br> I can honestly say that I was not glib when I talked to them, even before they went completely to the dark side. I don't think I was able to even if I wanted to be. Staring into the face of evil is... unsettling. Because of this I was a little surprised at what Al says in the previous stories. Sure, Al is afraid of what Morgenstern can do to him and is respectful of that fact when they speak. But compare his mocking words when confronting the guy with the jeweled wand in 'Dark Matters'. Now here in 'Faith' Al sounds all nervous again, and Blackstone and Prufrock aren't even evil. The two don't seem to mix.<br><br>(I can see making fun of the baldies. Conservation of hair is pretty funny.)<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Q1: I pronounce it Mad-jee-us, but it is intended to suggest "magus" ...<br><br>Q2: Magister is Latin for master or teacher. In A Matter of Degrees, Al finally receives his Baccalaureate (Bachelor's Degree) based on a magical equivalency exam -- he never had the money to attend the College as professional magic-wielders are supposed to do. Because Magister (Master) Sciavone is impressed by Al's skills, he also effectively nominates him for rapid granting of Magister (Master) rank ... I tend to use Magister and Master interchangeably in the series. The magic words Al uses are variously Biblical Hebrew or Aramaic (for the Kabbalistic magic he learns from Morgenstern's books), or modern Rumanian (for the Walachian (vampire) magic from Countess Lamia's books). The grammar in the spells is -- well, non-existent; they're just words strung together.<br><br>Nit1: Janine is kidding, really. Or she may be upset because she feels that blowing up the furniture is HER job now ... Both Janine and Githros now try to get Al to realize that he is NOT the schlub whose attempts at magic usually caused more problems than they solved.<br><br>Nit2: Al takes Morgenstern very, very seriously, as he is like a terrorist with an arsenal of nukes who is not fussy about who he hurts -- and who resents Al for somehow escaping. By comparison, Al considers the Baldies and even their more powerful (but still deluded) leaders (who seek to harness The Wild, rather than just to eliminate hair-hogs as the lower ranks do) as lightweights. They're dangerous; they are capable of great evil (the murder of children in Rumania (A Matter of Taste) to provoke a war between humans and Walachians (vampires) horrifies and outrages Al, Janine, Billy, and even Githros); but compared to Morgenstern, they are an annoyance easily dealt with by the skills and supernatural abilities of Al, Githros, Janine (quick-draw with a pre-charged wand), and Billy (werewolf, now protected from silver weapons and able to Change at will using a Baldy hex-dart).<br><br>The Baldies are also prone to making melodramatic speeches (Al remarks more than once that they sound like they all use the same writers -- and they should fire those writers immediately) and take themselves much too seriously. When Al taunts the wand-wielder in Dark Matters, he is stalling and manipulating him so Githros can jump him.<br><br>As for the Prufrock situation -- Al's mentor, Magister Sciavone, was near death due to Prufrock's magic-nullifying Unbelief. At an unspecified (but rumored to be measured in centuries) age, Sciavone and some other Magisters depend on magic to sustain their lives. Githros, on the other hand, might have simply ceased to exist if he was trapped within the sphere of Prufrock's influence. So, evil or not, Prufrock was a lethal threat to people important to Al.<br><br>Questions and nits accounted for?<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on June 23, 2004, 01:22:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

I loved this! It was the first Al Majius I read, but I still found it hilarious and exciting. This is exactly what I would love to write. (want to be an author when I grow up). Yes, I agree - A Matter of Faith stands up on its own. However, when I found it I searched the back issues for the other stories in the series. Any others that didn't get in? If so, please re-submit because I would so love to read them!!!! (you can tell this is written by a teen can't u?) My favourite so far. Thanks Robert.
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

go ahead and take the time to use whole sentences?! Time is money man!!! Anyway, what has happened to 'Dark Matters' in the 'more by Robert Moriyama'? Everyone (I didn't say every1, please note) is mentioning it and I haven't read it! Argh!!!!!
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

Argh! Just checked and it turns out I've missed FOUR Al Majius stories - FACT, Taste, State and Time. WHY r these not in the 'more by Robert Moriyama'? y is de editor so cruel? Someone plz give me hints on finding these so I don't have to trawl thro back issues! Give me specifics!!!<br> Eternally gr8ful.<br>P.S. i write all the time and I use full words. just cant b bothered in real life
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Argh! Just checked and it turns out I've missed FOUR Al Majius stories - FACT, Taste, State and Time. WHY r these not in the 'more by Robert Moriyama'? y is de editor so cruel? Someone plz give me hints on finding these so I don't have to trawl thro back issues! Give me specifics!!!
Eternally gr8ful.
P.S. i write all the time and I use full words. just cant b bothered in real life
<br><br><br>... THIS is real life? I'm so disappointed. There were supposed to be flying cars and orbiting hotels and such, according to Kubrick (2001) and Ridley Scott (Blade Runner).<br><br>See the topic "Materia Magica" in this month's lettercol for a web link to oddly enough, Materia Magica, a text-plus-links page with background info on various characters, my synopses of ALL the stories in the series (in the correct sequence) AND more importantly, links to the stories themselves on Aphelion's servers. You will find that the stories go from silly to silly and grim (rather like the Harry Potter series, but much less profitably) ... <br><br>Glad you liked the latest installment and those earlier entries you've managed to find. There were no complete stories rejected by Aphelion, but one was trimmed at Cary's request to cut to the chase (Matters of State). Materia Magica includes a description of the material that was cut (not vital to the story or the series, but continuing the Al-learning-and-growing thread.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

all rite smartarse. i'd already checked it out, just didn't read the intro with the all-important linx. thanx, will now blow off my homework to read al majius. this zine is leading me astray!<br> If me featuring Lucifer in stories wasn't already doing that...

Return to “June 2004”