Strange Deaths to Follow by Neil McGill

Tell us what you thought about the June Issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Strange Deaths to Follow by Neil McGill

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I must confess that I hadn't read any of the series until now (waiting for it to be completed), and at this point I've only finished parts 1 - 3. If I'd known they were this LONG, I'd have started sooner! That said, I agree with Dan -- this is very funny stuff, quite reminiscent of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I rather miss seeing the One Sane Person (like Sam Vimes, in the Guards) to offset the general lunacy, but perhaps he or she is there, and will figure more prominently in parts 4 and 5 ...<br><br>In terms of wordage, the 5 parts together would make for a rather short book ... but it might be worth expanding it and shopping it around to publishers. Or, having the experience of Strange Deaths to Follow under yer belt and suspenders, write a fugin' new one, eh?<br><br>(Alas, the fugin' would probably tend to put off publishers in the "juvenile" market, where the "short" (for a standalone book) length might not be a handicap ... I remember the gangster spoof movie Johnny Dangerously (starring a pre-steroids Joe Piscopo and a pre-Batman Michael Keaton), in which the chief bad guy referred to someone he didn't like as "a fargin' icehole". What fun ...)<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “June 2004”