The Things We Remember By Peter L. Johnson

Tell us what you thought about the June Issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Things We Remember By Peter L. Johnson

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

As Dan said, this one worked very well. The last few sentences in particular hit pretty hard, showing Billy's understanding of Josh's horrible plight.<br><br>Total recall sounds like a wonderful thing to have -- but without a "fast forward", without a way to edit the boring and repetitive parts, without a way to turn off the associative recall mechanism, it would be a curse. Everything would remind you of something in your past, and would make you see how much sameness there was from day to day ... For Josh, it was even worse, because he had to live his NOW at half-speed, spending much of his time reliving every scene his gimmicked brain retrieved from storage.<br><br>Billy is thankful that he only understands Josh's condition and doesn't have to live with it. The memory of the fall gives him just enough of a sample of perfect recall to make it clear that he never, never wants what Josh had.<br><br>... Some typos; the exclusive use of short sentences or sentence fragments in the first few paragraphs was a little annoying ... but overall, nicely executed.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I liked this one as well.<br><br>I liked the sadness at how he knew he was forgetting and would keep forgetting.<br><br>I also liked how remembering all the mundane would make one weary. I don't think any of us wants to remember all our trips to the bathroom.<br><br>Well done.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

This was really nice. It was so sad too, and it's one of those ones that sticks in your memory. I liked that it pointed out how he would keep forgetting more and more. We tend to assume we remember everything, especially from a recent conversation. But as a chick who just finished her exams - we so don't!
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

PS. I'd like to apologise for using the word 'nice'. My English teacher will have me for breakfast if she ever finds out.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

This was really nice. It was so sad too, and it's one of those ones that sticks in your memory.
<br><br>Not TOO well, I hope ...<br><br>
I liked that it pointed out how he would keep forgetting more and more. We tend to assume we remember everything, especially from a recent conversation. But as a chick who just finished her exams - we so don't!
<br>So, the truth comes out ... lokifan is a "chick"! Could be worse -- she could be a "babe", "stank ho'", or Britney Spears fan ... Her English teacher (if female) probably wouldn't like seeing a student describe herself as a "chick", either. "Nice chick", of course, would be grounds for summary execution.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “June 2004”