What's a Junior Critic?

Tell us what you thought about the June Issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

What's a Junior Critic?

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Hey, Rob<br><br>I just noticed that my name now has TWO stars and the label 'Junior Critic' instead of the more usual 'Commentator' (or 'Editor' for Aphelion staff?). Did that happen automatically because I've been posting a lot, or was this honor conferred by you or Dan?<br><br>(At my age, being a Junior ANYTHING is a thrill ...) ;)<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: What's a Junior Critic?

Dan<br><br>I see you are testing your theory by trying to break the 100 post barrier (and perhaps earning the title "Critic" or even "Senior Critic") BEFORE I DO! In the immortal words of Rowan Atkinson's character (the narcoleptic Italian) in the movie Rat Race -- "It's a race-a!"<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

Robert M. - I am deeply disappointed that you saw Rat Race too! My parents reckon this is higher culture than Buffy*, and now someone watches the same crappy movies I do? You probably all saw 50 First Dates!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>*Buffy IS high culture, and anyone who doesn't agree - let's take this to the Inet equivalent of outside!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I,m sure that he has invented a time freezing device--something like a TV remote--that suspends time while he leisurly goes about writing tales and making posts.

Donald
<br><br>No, silly. I borrow that time-travel doohickey that Hermione uses in the current Harry Potter movie. (The time-manipulating watches from The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything (book by John D. Macdonald; TV movie) and Clockstoppers (movie, directed by Number One himself, Jonathan Frakes). have ridiculously long waiting lists, and Al Majius REFUSED to do any time-travel spells for me -- the ingrate.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Robert M. - I am deeply disappointed that you saw Rat Race too! My parents reckon this is higher culture than Buffy*, and now someone watches the same crappy movies I do? You probably all saw 50 First Dates!

*Buffy IS high culture, and anyone who doesn't agree - let's take this to the Inet equivalent of outside!
<br><br>Actually, I did NOT see 50 First Dates. I DID see Dodgeball, however -- how can you pass up a movie with a line like "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball?" And I used to painstakingly tape every episode of Buffy AND Angel until the DVD sets started to come out (I have Buffy Seasons 1 - 5, and will be picking up 6 shortly -- although I'll have to use my time-bending gizmo to find time to WATCH any of the DVDs). Instead of following the Shakespearean line (first, let's kill all the lawyers), let's kill all the Fox execs who cancelled Firefly AND Angel before their time. (To say nothing of Dark Angel.)<br><br>Robert M.<br><br>PS The long-delayed Buffy animated series may yet come to pass, although someone else will be voicing Buffy as SMG has declined the job; Serenity (the Firefly movie) is going forward; and Joss Whedon is now scripting an X-Men comic book for Marvel ... thought you might like to know, if you hadn't been following the news.

Jack London (1876-1916)
lokifan

Post by lokifan »

Brilliant, somebody else who watched Dark Angel. It had a ridiculously low profile even though it was brilliant. Again with the getting off topic, but wasn't the last episode great? The cliffhanger killed me, though. I've heard of Firefly but since it never made UK terrestrial (to my knowledge) I missed out on it.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I actually missed parts of the last episode, so my recent acquisition of the Season 2 DVD set will allow me to see the whole thing. As you say, the cliffhanger(s) made it a frustrating experience: we don't know what the breeding cult's plan to kill the weak (everybody but themselves and those annoyingly immune-to-disease Manticoreans) is, or how Max's unique genetic makeup can stop it; and we don't know how long the Transgenic Nation can survive in Terminal City, now that even X-series types can be identified by their thermal signature so they can't easily get in and out to obtain supplies.<br><br>Even more troubling is the fate of Logan, Normal, Sketchy, and Original Cindy. It has been stated that Terminal City is still contaminated with biological and/or chemical agents that will harm or kill a normal human after prolonged exposure. Will they have to abandon the cause and face prosecution by the authorities outside?<br><br>I suspect that if the series had continued, the elusive Sandiman might have intervened somehow. He has been missing for a number of years (I'm not clear on whether he left Manticore before Max's escape or not ...), and assuming that the cultists never caught up with him, he probably has not been idle. Who knows, maybe the "Red" implant program was another of his attempts to counter the cult's plans by producing soldiers who could match the cult's superhuman fighters ...<br><br>FYI, there are two (maybe three) novels by Max Collins based on the TV series. I've only read one -- it was so-so (featuring the extremely-annoying phrase "martial arts kick"! If he can't be specific, he should just say "kick", and be done with it!). I think ONE of the three occurs after the end of the series, but I may be wrong.<br><br>Firefly was a rather odd-ball series which Whedon described as a Western set in space. The setting is a future wherein a strong, technically advanced "Alliance" has essentially crushed the drive for independence of less advanced colony worlds through military force. While the Alliance core worlds look a bit like Coruscant, most of the outer worlds have settlements that look like 19th Century America -- mud, dust, horses, six-guns, and saloons, or near-feudal cities ruled by a wealthy elite while most of the population lives in conditions Charles Dickens would have milked for a few dozen installments. The title refers to the Firefly-class spaceship Serenity, captained by Malcolm Reynolds and crewed by his former military buddy, the kick-ass female commando Zoe, her hotshot pilot husband, and Jayne, a (male) mercenary who signed on when Reynolds offered him a better deal. Along for the ride are a preacher (who seems to have had a very interesting and mysterious past), a registered Companion (very high-class geisha-type), and a doctor and his genius sister who are on the run from the Alliance, who have performed gruesome experiments on her that have made her dangerously unstable but so intuitive that she seems almost telepathic/precognitive.<br><br>If your budget is up to it, I'm pretty sure that the Firefly DVD set has been out in the UK and Europe (your use of "brilliant" tags you as a UK citizen, I think) and it is worth the price for loads of Whedon character bits and dialogue.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “June 2004”