Reconstruction by C. Neilson

Tell us what you thought about the April 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

CameronNeilson
Commenter

Re: Reconstruction by C. Neilson

Post by CameronNeilson »

Thanks for the reviews everyone!<br>Kevin pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wanted to hint throughout the story that only traces of Matthew were found...dna perhaps, a jawbone...whatever, and he was reconstructed from that. I wanted to add a strong element of nihilism to the piece, so of course the main character can't be happy in the end.<br><br>-Joe
CameronNeilson
Commenter

Post by CameronNeilson »

Hi Donald,<br>>>>I hope my comments about the ending weren't taken as harsh criricism.<br><br>No, not at all. I totally hear you on stories that seem to peter out instead of ending right. That is one of the things I have noticed in most of my college fiction writing workshops, is that student writers tend to end their stories too early instead of finding the right ending. I think a good ending is one of the hardest things to do with a short story. With sci-fi it's super hard, because you want to stay away from something that's been done a million times and try to come up with something original. That is why I find myself writing more and more non sci-fi nowadays, because when it comes to sci-fi, at least for me, it is hard to come up with original ideas. Like my story in this issue...the plot has been done a thousand times...man wakes up in future world. But I tried to put my own spin and style on it and come up with an original ending.<br><br>-Joe
CameronNeilson
Commenter

Post by CameronNeilson »

Vila,<br>I'm not getting to write all the sci-fi or horror that I want to right now because of school. The instructor I just had allows sci-fi, but the one I have next semester only wants "literary" stuff for the workshops. And I am applying to grad schools right now, so I am polishing up stuff for my submission applications. Most MFA in Creative Writing programs want 30-50 pages of "literary" work. But I have some amazing professors here at OSU that are helping me, so I should be okay. I think I'll have time this summer to get some serious sci-fi and horror done and I'll be sure and submit it all to Aphelion!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Cam allowed me to have a go at an earlier version of this story, and he seems to have done a fine job of dealing with my comments. The protagonist's discovery that he has become immortal (whether he wants to be or not), of course, does cast Melissa's earlier remarks in a nastier light: how many times *has* she gone over a railing, or done something else to try to escape her too-perfect world? Ah, Utopia, where the people and even happiness itself are made out of attractive, durable plastics!<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
CameronNeilson
Commenter

Post by CameronNeilson »

LOL! Great lyrics, Cary! <br><br>Thanks again for workshopping this story for me, Robert. You wouldn't be up for reviewing some non sci-fi material I am sending off with my MFA applications would you?<br>Let me know if you're interested.<br><br>Or anyone else for that matter. There are a lot of great writers here and the more input I get the better.<br>If anyone's interested just email me at cameron_neilson1@hotmail.com and I can send you the two short stories that I am thinking of using for my grad school apps.<br><br><br>-cameron
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Cam<br><br>Hey, I'll nitpick anything. I helped a friend (possibly more than I should have) with the papers she wrote for a Social Work diploma program, so I am experienced in editing/commenting on Subjects I Know Nothing About.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2004”