The End of the Beginning By Noel Carroll

Tell us what you thought about the November 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The End of the Beginning By Noel Carroll

Post by kailhofer »

I'm with Greg. Good vision.<br><br>The possible Messianic parallels here leap out at you. It is the end of the world, and He/She/It arrives to take the spirits of the dead to a new existence of energy and light, with Him/Her/It as the protector-provider figure. The protagonist may not have been a traditional deity, but certainly ends up that way.<br><br><br>The main character's disconnection with the physical world influenced the world building (or in this case, the world unbuilding). Everything, as I recall, was perceived without senses, and described visually (though not really, since the character didn't have eyes). Even as they passed through the boundary of the star, there was no sensation of heat, or noise of the seas boiling. It was disconcerting, but I could see no reason that disembodied energy would perceive in any way we could understand. No five senses rule needed here.<br><br>I felt that the infodumps took a way from the impact a little, and were a bit too long, slowing the pace. This was my only real beef in what was a very good story. The main character grew, and chose a new life based on knowledge He/She/It didn't have at the story's beginning. The plot held together, and gave me no reason to question it. The internal monologue worked, and was consistent.<br><br><br>Good story, and it made me think. Nice work.<br><br>Nate <br>
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The End of the Beginning By Noel Carroll

Post by kailhofer »

Can you explain this? I take it the base word is Messiah?

(Dictionary? What dictionary?)
<br>Messianic: Of or pertaining to the Messiah or the characteristic of a messiah.<br><br>In this instance, the world ends, a being arrives, the dead rise (so to speak), and then that being takes them to a heaven.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “November 2004”