In the Lake of Golden Sunsets by Frederick Rustam

Tell us what you thought about the November 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: In the Lake of Golden Sunsets by Frederick Rus

Post by kailhofer »

My, there's a lot of good fiction this month.<br><br><br>The social overtones of this one reminded me of '70s movies, like Little Big Man, wherein the oppression of Native Americans was pointed out in no uncertain terms. The Indian country references leave little doubt that borrowing this sentiment was one of Mr. Rustam's aims.<br><br>I thought setting was one of only two weakness in this one. The Colonel's cabin, the caves of the Mutos, the desert, grasslands, the lake itself, and even the golden sunsets were not described in any real detail, or with that many of the senses. Had their existence and their conditions in the caves been more detailed, I think it would really have helped to build sympathy for the Mutos, and made the hunter's choice than much more dramatic at the end.<br><br>Moreover, I didn't really get a sense of what a golden sunset would look like as opposed to an orange one like here on earth--and the sunsets are in the title. I naturally supposed they would play a greater role, apart from a "sunset of his golden existence" play on words.<br><br>I liked the characterization. The principal players were believable and sympathetic (although I questioned the interbreeding possibilities). The Colonel had his chance to leave the chair, but chose to face his fate.<br><br>The twin plotlines flowed well into each other, arriving at the same moment for the climax. The firing of the gun was a truly good moment, an experience that stays with readers, and makes them think.<br><br>I felt the dialogue of the Muto was the only other weakness. He spoke with the same "voice" as the Colonel, which I doubt he should have been able to, after his salted upbringing in the caves. His vocabulary and command of English would not logically have been as good as it was.<br><br>Other than those two minor issues, very well done. <br><br>Nate<br>
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

This one reminded me of some of the anthropology-flavored fiction of Chad Oliver waaay back in the 70's (or 80's?). The White Man's Burden in this case turns out to be regret and guilt rather than the obligation to 'civilize' the conquered people ...<br><br>Mr. Rustam doesn't explain what 'salting' is, but the reference to declining (or non-existent) birthrates among the Hunter's people suggest that it might involve measures to depress the fertility of the natives (slow genocide) as well as the carrying capacity of the land (in terms of its ability to produce food).<br><br>Dark (it is 'after the sunset', for the Hunter's people and for the Colonel as well) and sad and memorable.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

The Bush Doctrine appears to be Manifest Destiny multiplied by White Robber Baron's burden -- the U.S., or at least the wealthiest 1 per cent of its population, is destined to rule the world (wealth is implicitly regarded as proof of virtue -- even if your granddaddy was a carpetbagger, thief, bootlegger, slave trader, etc.). This same superiority requires that the values held by this soi-disant elite should, indeed must, be imposed on the rest of the world. They will start, of course, by trying to civilize those heathen Democrats.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “November 2004”