We All Have Our Jobs to Do by Katherine Sanger

Tell us what you thought about the October 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: We All Have Our Jobs to Do by Katherine Sanger

Post by kailhofer »

This is a fun little story.<br><br>The concept of faceless bureaucracy searching for serial killers to keep the justice system running is an interesting one. <br><br>You can almost see the email from the Monster.com job search agent: Serial killer. Must be willing to work nights. Benefits. Submit audition tape to... :)<br><br>While the short paragraphs gave fast pace to the story, I thought that it could have had more attention to world building. The settings are not rich with detail, and all the five senses were not used to describe the scene, which makes it more real for the reader. If nothing else, touch could have been brought in with a line about how Adam was frustrated that the blood kept making the knife slippery to hold onto.<br><br>Also on setting, I'm not sure you could feed a human body into a garbage disposal. I don't think it would take it.<br><br>The dialogue was good, what there was of it, and clearly Richard reads in a different voice from Adam.<br><br>I thought that the character development was good. Adam clearly wasn't normal, and easily molded into what I would believe a serial killer could be like. His transition at the end to full-fledged independent showed he had resolved his conflict--from the shame of unemployment to finding a job that he could throw himself into with his whole heart and mind.<br><br>When it comes to plot, I have to give plus points on losing his job as a murderer because he lied on his resume. Priceless!<br><br>Keep up the good work.<br><br>Nate<br>
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “October 2004”