Need Steampunk help

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Need Steampunk help

Post by Lester Curtis »

A gas bag to lift that much? Without even thinking about the science or math, I'd go straight to the weather. When this puppy floats over, it's gonna block sunlight (and/or a fair deal of precipitation) over whole counties at a time!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

EddieSullivan wrote:The Vatican or Liechtenstein or Malta or even the state of Rhode Island maybe but other than that probably not.
You could name it "The State of Rhode Island" to suggest its size, but notice I wrote 'counties,' not 'countries.' Easy to misread those, I know. ;-)

And true, it doesn't have to weigh that much because it doesn't need an ocean-going hull, but that kind of cargo volume still implies a monstrous payload in terms of mass.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

EddieSullivan wrote:Time to share a little bit with my friends! Do you remeber all those great disaster movies years ago? Did it ever occur to anyone that steampunk science is precarious and dangerous? I intend to create a genre. Catastropunk. What happens when steampunk meets disaster!
Piece o' cake. Reactor melt-down aboard The State of Rhode Island--as it's approaching, let's say, Chicago (they deserve it)--coming from Seattle, so it's riding the prevailing westerly. Engines have lost power; no power means no steering. They're adrift, but still have control of altitude. Most of your engineering crew are dead or incapacitated. The bottom of your reactor containment vessel will melt through just in time to rain molten enriched uranium all over downtown, with a cloud of vapor floating downwind for maybe a hundred miles or more.

What do you do? Oh, god, the humanity!--oh, wait, this is Chicago--never mind. >:D

Return to “Writers Workshop”