Beware of "David Byron"

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Beware of "David Byron"

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

We have just learned that "David Byron" is a plagiarist. The story "Electrocuting the Clowns", which he has submitted to various markets including some semi-pro paying zines, was actually written by Ferrel Moore (and is available in his 2003 collection http://www.amazon.com/reader/0595264239 ... F8&page=18 Beyond the Porchlight and other stories).

If you ever submitted material to "Byron"'s zine, it may well have been submitted to other markets under his name (or under another of his several aliases). I would recommend a Google search for the title of anything you may have placed in his grubby hands, just in case...

Robert Moriyama
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Can't take credit for it...

Someone associated with Mr. Moore contacted us after they found that the story had been printed in another publication under the "David Byron" name. Hell, he even submitted it to us here TWICE -- had to be reminded that we had already run it. I guess when you have put zero effort into something and then shopped it around to god-knows-how-many-places, you lose track.

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

The biggest shame about this is that it'd quite likely cost more to sue this creep than the legitimate author could get out of him.

Maybe bottomdweller could get her cousin Guido to do us all a little favor . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Hell Dude,

You're the one with the gun.
Yeah, but I'm essentially non-violent . . . notice that I didn't think of that, but you did? I think I'd scream and puke and have nightmares if I ever had to shoot a person.
I have something even worse than radiation - really BAD stories that I never submitted anywheres. Let's dump all our trash on his site - and laugh when he steals it.
You are a freakin' GENIUS, bd! I love it!

Makes me think . . . maybe we could have a contest to see who can write the worst story, and send it to him . . .
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

...a.k.a. David Brookes

"David Byron" was the pen name he used for his Aphelion "Electrocuting" submission. "David Brookes" was (he claimed) his real name.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I hate those guy that steal ideas, stories or techniques and call it there own.

We should all dump 'trash' onto his web-zine and just watch. But then again, people like him are not really worth the time and effort.

At work---I'm retired now---we would sometimes come up with a solution to a problem. It was never a solution that would set the world on fire or anything even near that magnitude, but the solution might make the job a little easier or quicker or save a little money. There was always one guy who would run into the office and say: "I came up with...." We all came up with the idea and usually never said anything about it until the morning meeting! Then we usually added it as an after-thought!! Yet he always tried to take credit for the idea, and finally our department head wouldn't even listen to him anymore. Thank God he transfered to the 'Scubber' ---a complex that cleans the exhaust gas from the plant---and a few years later he quit the company.

There is always somebody like the guy I mentioned around every industry. Whether it is writing, mechanics, medicine, the arts----he/she will pop up sooner or later. So, be on the look-out for them!!!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Beware of "David Byron"

David Byron, Daniel Byran, David Boyer (this might be his real name), Iron Dave Byran, Leo Wolfe, ... "editor" of 'New Voices in Fiction' (exposed as bait for writers to supply him with material to plagiarize) and many more scams. His greatest fiction writing appears to be his resume.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Updated list of known David Byron / David Boyer aliases:

David Byron, Sean Killian, Darren Oberhaus, Brian Bradford, George LaCroix, Grant Dean, Leland Gaines, Dylan Cook, Doc Byron, Iron Dave, Tobey King, Jack Sawyer, Leo Wolfe, Jack Burnett, Christian Loche, Daniel Byron, Doc Creeper, Joe Hammond, Kelli Kelso, Kelli Ross and probably others...

DO NOT submit stories to any 'zine or print publication that is edited by one of the above names. If you do, your work will probably be published ... but under one of HIS pseudonyms, not under your name or preferred pseudonym.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Updated list of known David Byron / David Boyer aliases:

David Byron, Sean Killian, Darren Oberhaus, Brian Bradford, George LaCroix, Grant Dean, Leland Gaines, Dylan Cook, Doc Byron, Iron Dave, Tobey King, Jack Sawyer, Leo Wolfe, Jack Burnett, Christian Loche, Daniel Byron, Doc Creeper, Joe Hammond, Kelli Kelso, Kelli Ross and probably others...

DO NOT submit stories to any 'zine or print publication that is edited by one of the above names. If you do, your work will probably be published ... but under one of HIS pseudonyms, not under your name or preferred pseudonym.
If this guy turns up murdered, I'll swear I had nothing to do with it . . . but I will buy a case of beer for whoever does. Asshole.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I'm just having to wonder why none of our highly-vaunted law enforcement agencies haven't done anything about him . . . could it be that they've used up their budgets trying to imprison some poor schlub for smoking a joint?

Too bad he hasn't tried to kype anything off of Disney . . . that would be the end of him, for damn sure! The paperwork alone would make a pile big enough to crush him to death.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Lester Curtis wrote:I'm just having to wonder why none of our highly-vaunted law enforcement agencies haven't done anything about him . . . could it be that they've used up their budgets trying to imprison some poor schlub for smoking a joint?

Too bad he hasn't tried to kype anything off of Disney . . . that would be the end of him, for damn sure! The paperwork alone would make a pile big enough to crush him to death.
The authorities in Indiana are currently working on the case. Unfortunately, federal authorities haven't (so far at least) become involved, although I'm pretty sure his internet activities involve fraud and theft across state lines... to say nothing of the threats he has made against people who keep pointing out his continuing misdeeds.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Update: a new "zine" to avoid

From Jeani Rector, who has been chasing Boyer/Byron/... for years now:

"David Boyer has a "new" magazine titled Future of Horror here:
http://futureofhorrorezine.weebly.com/"

Anything submitted there will probably end up sold elsewhere under one of his various pseudonyms, so it will be the future of horror indeed -- but only for the hapless victim whose work is stolen.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “Writers Workshop”