Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Aphelion Writers Plug Their Work

Post by kailhofer »

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where Aphelion writers can plug the work they do in other markets.

To start the ball rolling, I'd like to announce that:

1) "Distant Galaxies Colliding" - my short story collection (featuring reworkings of several stories first published in Aphelion) has been accepted for publication by Elastic Press in August 2008.

2) "Silversands" - my first novel has been accepted for publication by Pendragon Press in 2009.

3) I've sold another short story to Interzone - "Ack-Ack Macaque" should appear in the magazine soon, with artwork by SMS.
Like Lee, I got that jealous, depressed feeling, but darn it, good for you. It's nice to see someone succeed.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

For his next trick, Tao will provide a link to transcripts of the missing 18 minutes from the Watergate tapes ... :o

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

"The way Aphelion ... does it" will be even better once the Author Index is brought up to date (a Herculean task that I managed to neglect after agreeing to tackle it a couple of years ago). Then you'll be able to say, "Find my name in the Archives -- Author Index, and you'll be able to see everything of mine that Aphelion has run."

(As it is, some authors have had a number of stories or poems in Aphelion over the past several years, but their names don't appear in the Author Index at all, leaving them feeling neglected and contemplating terrible, twisted plans for revenge ... or is that just Nate? ;))

Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

"The way Aphelion ... does it" will be even better once the Author Index is brought up to date (a Herculean task that I managed to neglect after agreeing to tackle it a couple of years ago). Then you'll be able to say, "Find my name in the Archives -- Author Index, and you'll be able to see everything of mine that Aphelion has run."

(As it is, some authors have had a number of stories or poems in Aphelion over the past several years, but their names don't appear in the Author Index at all, leaving them feeling neglected and contemplating terrible, twisted plans for revenge ... or is that just Nate? ;))

Robert M.
Let's see... Maybe Robert's challenge this month (and his alone) should be to create a tragic tale of a workaholic who loses touch with his family and spends all of time in the bathtub... using only the words "billy goat", & "go-go dancer". Yeah! That's it. [smiley=bath.gif]

Well, ok, maybe it won't be that bad. But it will be different!

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 02, 2007, 06:19:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

"Let's see... Maybe Robert's challenge this month (and his alone) should be to create a tragic tale of a workaholic who loses touch with his family and spends all of time in the bathtub... using only the words "billy goat", & "go-go dancer". Yeah! That's it."

Hmm... This is like one of those bonus rounds of Lingo.

b i l l y g o a t g o g o d a n c e r

a b c d e g i l n o r t y
a e i o y b c d g l n r t y

------

Roy eyed 'is lady. "Linda, try not to cry. I'll be late to dinner."

Lance called. "Roy, contract bleeding again. Try to race Bacardi, Inc to the end line...."

Roy ... Gone Again.
Okay, so you used the LETTERS in the words "billy goat" and "go go dancer", and so long as you used each letter at least once, one could argue that you met the conditions of the challenge. But you lose points for failing to mention the bathtub.

Roy tarried too long in bat'. Boat long gone.

Jack London (1876-1916)
doc
WebMaven

Post by doc »

I've just made my first professional sale! Hurrah! To Australian magazine Cosmos. I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!
Congratulations!!

I love it when an Aphelion alum gets a pro sale!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I've just made my first professional sale! Hurrah! To Australian magazine Cosmos. I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!
Good for you! Congratulations.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I'm not jealous at all. Really.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Make that at least two people who got through with no problems.

... What kind of problem / message are you getting? Connection Timed Out? Or "server may be down or busy"? Is it possible that your ISP (or a firewall on the system you are using) blocks the site for some reason?

RM
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 03, 2007, 09:21:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

I was able to get directly to your poem using the link you supplied using both Firefox 2.006 and IE 7. Then I clicked on the Sword Review banner in both browsers and got to their home page; then clicked on the link to your poem and again, reached your poem with no problems in both browsers.

What version(s) of IE are you and your other stymied (to varying degrees) friends using? Could it be an issue with options for running scripts or something equally annoying? (Dunno if Sword Review uses any "fancy" features -- it doesn't look like it from the page layout, but who knows?)

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

good job!! keep the stories and novels coming!!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

"Stainless Steel", the story of Lacy Dawn's best friend, can be read right here in Atomjack.
Just out of curiosity, Robert, did you know you were getting a retread?

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

"Stainless Steel", the story of Lacy Dawn's best friend, can be read right here in Atomjack.
Just out of curiosity, Robert, did you know you were getting a retread?

Nate
I believe that it was mentioned at some point, but I really liked the story, so I went with it anyway.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

What's a retread?
A reprint.

As long as Robert knows and Atomjack doesn't lay claim to it exclusively for a set amount of time--they don't--there is no problem. (However, even though Aphelion is '4theluv', I think this will technically use your second electronic rights.) I only asked because it is a little unusual to see a story in a second publication so soon after a 1st in May.

But really, good for you getting it into a second market this fast.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Some of you may remember my 2005 story Too Late the Hero that appeared right here at Aphelion. I've written a very short sequel (338 words) The Ironic Man that you can see at my blog:

http://garethdjones.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... c-man.html
You've been doing that Friday fiction for some time now (yes, I look in from time to time). Ever thought about trying the monthly Challenge?

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

This isn't a writing brag, but it's still pretty cool.

My artwork published in Flashing Swords now appears on merchandise in the Flashing Swords Cafe Press and Zazzle stores. Here are links to the Flashing Swords Cafe Press and Zazzle pages:

http://www.cafepress.com/flashingswords

http://www.zazzle.com/flashing_swords

On the Cafe Press page, just click on "The Art of Richard H. Fay" to be taken to a preview of the three images by me currently available. Click on each individual image to see the different merchandise available for each one.

On the Zazzle page, click on "view all" to find the nifty stein featuring my illustration "John Humble versus Wolf-Head" It seems to work surprisingly well on a stein.

As it says on the Cafe Press page, "don't be the last one to own a piece of history".
That is cool. Good for you.

Nice drawings, too.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... and someday, somebody other than RH or GDJ will have something to report. Someday ... somewhere ... somehow ... (music from West Side Story)

:'(

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... and someday, somebody other than RH or GDJ will have something to report. Someday ... somewhere ... somehow ... (music from West Side Story)

:'(
... By which I really meant that someday I will have something to report ... really ... sooner or later ... (sigh)

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

That is great news!! Hard work, hard work, and hard work pays off!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

By "these stories and poems", I presume you mean the ones in Aphelion, not the ones being "plugged". We used to have a hit counter that kept track of how many times someone accessed the main index page (back when one index covered all 'sections')... I think Rob Wynne can call up similar info now using webmavenish rituals involving the sacrifice of small furry animals. The total number of such "hits" on the main index used to be over 1,000 per month (I think)... what that meant in terms of readers for individual stories, I dunno.

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I have a question, except for comments the forum column how does anyone know if these stories and poems are even being read by others?
Thanks, RT
You ask the quintessential question, one all of us wonder sometimes: "Is anyone reading this?"

I'm sure Rob has access to simple, easy-to-read counter stats, but I don't expect to see them. At paid (print) publications, circulation numbers are made public to secure advertising (ie. reach X many households at our new, low rate), bring in new readers (475,000 readers can't be wrong, pick up a copy today), or (if they qualify) to keep periodicals rate postage in the annual statement of ownership (U.S.) required to be published once per year, in October, I believe.

At the small print plant I work at we print all or parts of over 40 different publications, and if it's not for one of those reasons, the publishers and editors I deal with tend to regard that information as private. I know how many copies they want printed, so I know what their circulation is. The public won't.

So, I guess the simple answer to how many people are reading our things is "more than if it wasn't published at all." Maybe a lot, maybe not. Usually it feels like 'not', but we may never know.

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on April 02, 2008, 11:49:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

My article 'A Sense of Place' is up over at http://www.estellasrevenge.com
This is probably also a good moment to mention my blog over at http://www.stu-stusplace.blogspot.com
Congratulations, and -- HEY! You're not RHFay! :o

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Congratulation RHFay!!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I dunno, Dan, if you can fit condors in there, we need to get you on the competitive eating circuit! ;D Good luck, and don't forget to plug your zine & forum!

Good for you, Stu.

Jeez, Robert, that reads as a little mean. Yeah, RH is prolific, and his loooong string of successes makes the rest of us slackers look bad. But it's still good that he's getting published. Proves it can be done. And it is a brag thread, after all...

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Jeez, Robert, that reads as a little mean. Yeah, RH is prolific, and his loooong string of successes makes the rest of us slackers look bad. But it's still good that he's getting published. Proves it can be done. And it is a brag thread, after all...

Nate
Well, I knew I could count on you to point out the flaws in my character...

And you, of all people, should know what I'm like when I'm TRYING to be mean. [smiley=evil.gif]

Actually, it just occurred to me that it would be nice if people would brag about appearing in Aphelion when they are published elsewhere! This thread theoretically draws attention to all those OTHER zines and such, but I don't know if there is a reciprocal draw TOWARD Aphelion. (I know that some authors who have websites or bios on writing websites mention us in their list of credits, but not all of those mentions include handy-dandy links to our publication.)

So ... Aphelion authors! If your work is published elsewhere, try to give US a plug (if the other publication will let you).

RM
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on May 08, 2008, 11:19:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Well, I knew I could count on you to point out the flaws in my character...

And you, of all people, should know what I'm like when I'm TRYING to be mean. [smiley=evil.gif]
And I'd think you, of all people, would recognize when your buttons are being pushed. [smiley=happy.gif]

Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on May 09, 2008, 03:16:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Great to hear your good news. Aphelion is a coffee house where writers can learn, write, suggest, and

understand. Good writing comes with hard work, and Aphelion keeps you on the right track. Your hard

work here will get you places!!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Good for you, Andy. Well done.

Nate
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I've just made my first professional sale!  Hurrah!  To Australian magazine Cosmos.  I don't know when it's scheduled to appear yet, but I'm pretty excited already!
Great!! Love it when an Aphelion makes it! Good job!!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Y'know, I'm beginning to think this Fay fellow and his friend Stu may be onto something... a recipe for earning bragging rights, as it were ...
  • [1]Take some degree of talent
    [2]Exercise that talent (write a LOT)
    [3]Test that talent (submit what you write)
    [4]When constructive criticism is received, take it into consideration (even if it stings)
    [5]Repeat Steps 2 - 4 as required
Now, that first element is a toughie, but we should all probably be trying Steps 2 - 4 more than we are... (Personally, I haven't submitted much outside of Aphelion for quite some time. Gallus Domesticus -- it's my gladiator name.)

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “Administrivia”