Hollow by Frank Byrns

Tell us what you thought of the Tenth Anniversary Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Hollow by Frank Byrns

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

... The bigger picture is one implied in Frank's earlier Aphelion appearances (and in stories that have appeared elsewhere). This story takes place in a world where criminals and vigilantes with superpowers [sup]TM[/sup] and/or special skills acquired through training or technology are relatively common. Think the Marvel Universe with even more realism (hence a semi-retired hero driving a cab in "Barflies", and another eking out a living as a stuntman ("Hollywood Ending")).

I'm not sure if Frank has ever stated the source for his characters' abilities (of the stories I have read, 'Hollow' is the first that incorporates an 'origin story'), but his website might offer some clues.

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Gareth's story, in turn, reminds me of storylines in DC comics where Lex Luthor provides powered armor for his security forces to give them the equivalent of super-powers (or more recently, where Lex's scientists develop a process for inducing super-powers by activating the 'meta-gene'). What happens to people born with special abilities (or who acquire them through intensive training) when anybody can be given superhuman abilities (even if it is in the form of a 'suit' that comes off at the end of the day)? Gareth's protagonist finds that his self-image and purpose in life take a beating ... Frank's heroes end up using their abilities just to make a living, or NOT using them because they NEED to make a living, and the super-vigilante business doesn't pay very well.

Of course, in 'Mystery Men' (the comic book and movie), we have ONE hero who has corporate logos plastered all over his costume (like 'Pennzoil' and 'Quaker State' decals on race cars) ... and on the other hand, Spider-man has to peddle pictures of himself to make ends meet.

Robert 'possessing the power to cloud any issue' M.

(PS viz. also Timothy Zahn's 'Cobra' stories, with supersoldiers whose computer-mediated reflexes make them dangerous in the civilian world, and whose implanted technology gives them severe arthritis in early middle age)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on February 27, 2007, 12:14:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Frank_Byrns
Commenter

Post by Frank_Byrns »

... The bigger picture is one implied in Frank's earlier Aphelion appearances (and in stories that have appeared elsewhere). This story takes place in a world where criminals and vigilantes with superpowers [sup]TM[/sup] and/or special skills acquired through training or technology are relatively common. Think the Marvel Universe with even more realism (hence a semi-retired hero driving a cab in "Barflies", and another eking out a living as a stuntman ("Hollywood Ending")).

I'm not sure if Frank has ever stated the source for his characters' abilities (of the stories I have read, 'Hollow' is the first that incorporates an 'origin story'), but his website might offer some clues.

Robert M.

I'm trying to think -- very few of my stories have incorporated any sort of 'origin story' -- some of the stories feature heroes / villains with powers that even _I'm_ not sure about. It's the least interesting aspect of superhero stories, I think, so it doesn't interest me to write about them that much. I'm more of a "So John has some superpowers, what happens next?" kind of guy.

That said, if the powers themselves are absolutely integral to the story -- like "Hollow" -- then they get some more play in the story itself.

In fact, I just did a quick count -- of the 12 stories in Requiem, only two of them mention the genesis of a character's power, and one of those is only in passing.
Frank_Byrns
Commenter

Post by Frank_Byrns »

Was one of these shorts the one with the corporate executive rushing to save the day, then realizing his powers were really not all that special?

Lee
No, that was my story Too Late the Hero.

I enjoyed this story for the fact that it gave a different slant, concentrating on his mortality rather than his invincibility.  

Gareth

That one sounds good, Gareth. I'll have to look that up and give it a read.
Frank_Byrns
Commenter

Post by Frank_Byrns »

when talking about backstory, didn't mean the various possible origins as mentioned by Robert and Frank. was mroe referring to the ambient world, i.e the politics, the environment, any sinister goings on in the b/g, etc. that i like, not being an outright superhero fan. it's the setting that counts for me.

Lee

I see. Yeah, that probably would be interesting. ;)

I think my stories -- and probably that of a lot of others, as well -- read better in a series / collection, where you get a feel for the world that everyone inhabits (provided they all live in the same world, which in my case, they do). I had used Eddie Metal and Blackbird in a previous story ("First Date"), so this is a sort of sequel to that one, but it also references other characters from other stories I've written.

Return to “February 2007”