Cat's Eye by Jeani Rector

Tell us what you thought of the Tenth Anniversary Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Frank_Byrns
Commenter

Re: Cat's Eye by Jeani Rector

Post by Frank_Byrns »

Good stuff.

I was especially impressed by the pacing -- a lesser story would have rushed to the inevitable conclusion, but this one kept the same pace as we moved closer and closer to the end. The longer it took, the more I began to think that maybe I was wrong as to what would happen.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

What I liked about this story was the (to me, at least) convincing depiction of a deranged thought process. GDJ thought the conclusion was telegraphed by the early pages -- maybe it was, but the slide from a self-esteem problem to self-mutilation made for an interesting trip. And to the narrator, every step seemed reasonable ... Want to stand out from the crowd? Make yourself impossible to ignore. Make yourself fascinating, even if it's in a train-wreck-with-fatalities kind of way. Boy, that cat sure is interesting ...

Robert "The eyes have it" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milquetoast
Caspar Milquetoast
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caspar Milquetoast was a comic strip character created by Harold Webster in 1924 for his comic strip The Timid Soul, published in the New York World. From this character the term "milquetoast" has come to mean "weak and ineffectual." Webster continued to produce the comic strip until his death in 1952, after which his assistant Herb Roth carried it on for another year. The name is a deliberate misspelling of the name of a bland and fairly inoffensive food, milk toast.

[edit] Meanings

1. The term can refer to someone who lets others win at his/her expense. People who behave in this way may become so completely submissive that others describe them as a "doormat".
2. The term can be used to describe a person of an unusually meek or submissive nature, or someone who is overly sensitive, timid, indecisive or cowardly. More rarely, it denotes someone who is chronically ill. Milk toast is light and easy to digest, therefore appropriate food for an invalid, or anyone with a "nervous stomach".
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “February 2007”