The Superior Species by Walt Trizna

Tell us what you thought of the Tenth Anniversary Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: The Superior Species by Walt Trizna

Post by Megawatts »

The story explained more that showed, but this type of story works well with explanation.

What interested me most was the writer’s style. This story could have been written in a Diary format, and  in my opinion it was close. Good parallel to scientific style reporting that adds to the story.

A very interesting plot line: Earlier species of Homo genus might have been more advanced than us. It is true that Neanderthals had larger brains! Image that--- so when you call somebody a ‘Neanderthal’ you’re giving him a compliment!! Ha.Ha!!   I just had to get that one in!!!

I don’t think Neanderthal children would act the way the author described.  “From the time of their births, the babies struck Gold, Fielding, Sanders and Mark as odd. The infants appeared tense, as if they had an inherent fear of Homo sapiens. The only time they relaxed was when they could see one another.”

The use of ‘inherent fear of homo sapiens’ qualified the author’s reasoning why the infants are tense around humans. But, with my experience with puppies, kittens---even an infant Bob-cat that a friend of mine had once---and, of course, my own children and the infants of friends and relatives, leads me to believe that all infants respond very positively to a mother like figure. A soft touch, cooing, warm and secure handling, food, and a safe environment should give the infants a trusting an affectionate bond to their surroundings and the figures that are caring for them! Just an opinion of mine, but I think that it has merit in this case.

In the ending, Gold kills John and Adam as they were studying. I can’t pin down the exact reason, but it might have been from the shock when Gold finally realized at what he set in motion. Or, perhaps their superiority, or as an academic shield to avoid a complete reevaluation of the Neanderthals, and change the existing theories of anthropology.  

“Gold stood drenched before them”  This statement indicated that Gold had many conflicts present in his mind, and that he was staining to fulfill his already pre-determined action toward John and Adam. He would carry it out!!!

Gold shot twice with the realization that he was the savage, confirms my belief  that his mind was in turmoil and that no clear cut solution was available to him, whatever his reasons were.

I enjoyed this one! Had a good message, developed well, and held my interest!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Much though there are many examples of infants of conflicting species bonding (cats and dogs, quite often; and tiger cubs(? well, some kind of big cat) and a young orangutan in the news recently), there are some instinctive fears that are quite difficult to shake (as MOST people have an aversion to spiders and snakes even if / especially if they are not used to them).

It may also be that Mr. Trizna was suggesting that the superior intelligence of the children made them particularly sensitive to non-verbal cues (scent, motion, tone of voice) from their surrogate parents / captors (viz. Robert Sawyers recent trilogy (Hominids / Humans / Hybrids) for the possible sensitivity of the Neanderthal nose). Or, for that matter, they may have been slightly empathic or telepathic -- sufficiently so to make them aware that they were DIFFERENT, and not viewed as 'normal' by those around them.

(And that's not even going out on a limb for 'genetic memory' / 'collective unconscious' theories!) :-?

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Good point Robert! That is the reason I touched lightly on that subject.

Genetic memory plays a big role with cats! Lions, tigers, all big cats are scared of dogs!! They seem to know that canines run in packs and attack in teams!  I like using team better than coordinated tactics.
Tesla Lives!!!
Frank_Byrns
Commenter

Post by Frank_Byrns »

Interesting story. To me, it read quite a bit like a treatment / synopsis / pitch of a novel of the same story. I'd be interested in reading this novel, now. :)

Return to “February 2007”