Walking Subtly by J J Sherman

Tell us what you thought of the Tenth Anniversary Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Walking Subtly by J J Sherman

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Well, on '30 Rock', Tina Fey's sitcom about the people and situations behind the scenes at a sketch comedy show, the certifiably deranged character 'Tracy Jordan' (played by Tracy Morgan) tells an NBC page who was (briefly) a member of his entourage, "I'm proud of you! The manatee has become the mento!"

Just so long as we keep the mentos away from the cola ...

Robert "I can't wait for evolution -- just gimme some cybernetic implants" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Walking Subtly by J J Sherman

Post by Megawatts »

I love Science Fiction and this story fits my wants. The beginning has students sitting in a coffee house and Dianna, one of the students, is expounding on how ridiculous it is to believe in space aliens! And she is getting angrier as she talks.

Cory, a philosophy major, drills into Dianna by explaining how powerful faith is, and he gives an example. It is interesting to note that Cory refers to a God as a feminine being! Nice!!

Part of the story is vague, but the sense of intense research comes through, and Rodney dedicates himself to Dr. Carmichael, his mentor.

Nice reference to science with just the right amount of information presented. No info dump here!

At times, Rodney reminded me of Arrowsmith, a novel by Sinclair Lewis. In the novel Arrowsmith becomes a research doctor who dedicated himself to science.

The ending presented a brighter future for Rodney, one in which he finally realized what his mentor was striving for, for the past Sixteen years or so. Human development might have to host another life form biologically to advance, and in the future that will make us a Hybrid being.

Such a realization would shock many established beliefs, and I’m sure they would vigorously challenge any attempt to incorporate with the new singularity!  (The nearest word that I can find that will fit)

The writting was good, but at times not too clear.

A great story about future human development, possibly, and one that I enjoyed!!!

The word 'mentor' was used often, but I don't think that it was overused.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “February 2007”