The Keeper by Joshua L. Hamilton

Tell us what you thought abou thte November issue!
Megawatts
Master Critic

The Keeper by Joshua L. Hamilton

Post by Megawatts »

I wonder if the Keeper were a robot, or some farm machine designed to tend a vast and bountiful terrarium, placed on Earth to insure that all indigenous specimens were stored in order to be re-introduced into Earth’s environment after a global catastrophe? Or, is the Keeper an alien? Some might think of him as a God!! Is the terrarium really Eden? Was the Garden of Eden a terrarium? Food for thought, and this story generate much thought-provoking twists and scenes as the narration unfolds the story!

The writing good, the story-telling good without anything to nit-pick about, and the storyline without question, was well thought-out and integrated from beginning to end.

The interpretations to this story can be many, and I believe that symbolism in the form of the Eagles near the end stand for possibly America!!

What was the Keeper? From the description, he/she must be a relative of a giant squid or octopus! And has adapted to land, eons ago from some civilization that has vanished into forgotten memories that the Keeper once might have had, but now forever lost to time’s ever eroding effect on any memories formed eons ago!!

Yet, the thoughts and feelings of the Keeper surged through, and we learn that he is the sole proprietor of this terrarium or Garden of Eden as the story also suggests. And it’s been his duty to feed and care for all the living things that inhabits the garden whether plant or animal.

And animals and plants---I like how the author suggests plants can travel---continue to enter into the Keeper’s garden, all except man until the last.

The eagles at the front gate means something, I’m not sure what, but the suggesting of American comes to mind. Why Eagles? Why not Robbins or Doves or even Blue Jays for that matter, but the author introduced Eagles, and emphasized them with: “They were, as it turned out, a pair of eagles; great, majestic birds with heads crowned in white feathers.” I think that a colon should have been used instead of a semicolon, but getting back to the Eagles, I feel very strong that they have some type of meaning!!

When we come to the end of the story, a Nuclear War has enveloped Earth, and animals, birds, and plants are entering the Keeper’s garden almost like it were Noah’s Ark. A nice merge of symbolism, maybe!

Finally a man enters the garden, alone wearing a uniform with decorations. A lone military man who has witnessed the end of Earth as he knows it. And his eyes show hopelessness, for he knows what has happened Above, as the Keeper refers to it!!

Now here at the end we might see that the lone man will become the new Keeper! Maybe. The story does suggest that the Keeper will die! And if this is the only human to every enter the garden, then maybe that is what the Keeper was waiting for. To teach him, show him as the Keeper said: “you will understand. I am the Keeper, my friend. Welcome to Eden.”

Of course, it might not be that way.

Great story!! Loved it!!
Tesla Lives!!!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

He had a large number of arms, varying widely in size and purpose. It would be difficult to say exactly how many, for they were always in motion; spinning and whirling in eye-twisting convolutions. Some he walked on; large, heavy appendages that ended in smooth, flat stumps. Others, smaller and more dexterous, put food and water in his mouth, or tended the beasts, or watered and pruned the lush growth all around him. The rest, for the most part, were an extension of his senses. They reached out in all directions, dipping into the soil, waving in the air, or swishing through the water; tasting, testing, and interpreting the environment around him.

After re-reading one of the beginning paragraphs, I can’t see the ‘Keeper’ as human!. A large number of arms! Some he walked on! Flat Stumps! Others smaller and more dexterous!

The description in this paragraph suggests either some machine or an octopus-looking being tending a garden. And I just thought of something: octopi do have their gardens!

I can not say for certain that the keeper was human. Another species that once inhabited the earth and destroyed it eons ago, yes. But human, no.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “November 2008”