The St. Regis by Frank Minogue

Tell us what you thought about the December 2008 issue!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Well this was certainly an action-packed story with hookers, bad-guys and an officer who likes to trek to the dark-side, sometimes. Maybe its his military training or maybe he fantasizes so vividly that it directs his will.

The St. Regis hotel reminds me of the old DeSoto Hotel in Columbia SC near Fort Jackson. That hotel was the biggest cat-house around, and there were always fights, hookers and soldiers in uniform close by. And the MP’s were always chasing a recruit somewhere at sometime. Oh, the memories of the Vet-Nam War when you’re nineteen and on your way East!!!

The beginning of the story captured my attention, but toward the middle my interest in it waned, somewhat. I believe too much action, almost like an old Bruce Lee movies started to bore me. I like action but it has to be developed. The action here was just a little much ---bordering on the line between enough and too much.

Some wrong word choices and the story needed better editing. A little more sensory input would help, but the author did use some.

On the good side, I thought the writing in general very good, and the story-telling clear and easy to follow. This writer is talented. It is easy to see that from this story.

The character development Okay, and the setting believable.

The ending was great!! I didn’t expect that!! Neither did Bander, I’m sure, and now he has to face the fact that probably one of his crew was playing the game too, except on the other side!!

All in all a good read and really nothing much to nit-pick about. :wink:
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “December 2008”