His Last Bull Ride...

Tell us what you thought about the December 2008 issue!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

The first paragraph is confusing. Pronoun reference is much too vague; I thought the bull kicked in his own head and the bull’s left eye were looking at things sideways. However, I thought the rest of the story well written and interesting.

This story deals with the thoughts and feelings of an individual who has triumphed over a tragedy. And we see into his earlier years before his accident with Adolf, a time when life was full and fruitful with enough money to live well made by enjoying the thing he loved most, bull riding. And the name Adolf added to the wickedness of the bull. Nice touch.

He sees things different now maybe because of the tumor that lived dormant in his skull. He hears water running down pipes, they become musical tones that form a backdrop in which he knows that he will die soon. Earlier, we see a foreshowing of this event by him telling his kin that a dead rancher, I assume, McReady, had told him that coyotes were killing chickens.

What’s nice about this story is, like I said before, his thoughts and feelings which intertwine between events and times. And that makes a poignant tell that moves the heart.

We never learn the bull rider’s name. Good writing usually dictates concrete nouns, specific, but in the story the pronoun ‘he’ works when referring to the rider. I’m not sure why a name was omitted, but the omission of a name did seem to augment the story. But why, I don’t know!

A very nice poignant story! Good job!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “December 2008”