Door Gunner by J. B. Hogan

Tell us what you thought about the December 2008 issue!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Door Gunner by J. B. Hogan

Post by Megawatts »

Brings back memories of the ancient land known as Viet-Nam. I was there as were many others. Unfortunately, many never left, some still live with it every day, and others have placed it back in the caverns of their mind where it hangs like a oil-painting on a staircase wall, passed by many but only occasionally noticed.

“A patch with an Eagle on it or something!” Well, there’s a good indication that we are talking about the 101st Airborne which was headquartered at Camp Eagle, just a few miles from Hue! Names like LZ Sally, Camp Evans, Eagle’s Nest, Firebase Helen, and Bastogne, still ring in my ears after thirty-eight years of distance between then and now. And this story made me recall Hueys, and door gunners and hot LZs, and even the count-down to when a Freedom Bird would land and take you back to the good old U.S.A. where toilets flushed and water tasted like water, and beer tasted like beer!

I thought the writing good and the G.I. language of Viet-Nam believable.

I don’t know what to think about Stephen going through time and winding up in Viet-Nam. It was a nice transition, and the use of marijuana by Uncle Carl as Stephen slipped into a time-shift as he dozed off from marijuana’s mind altering effects, fitted in very nicely about Viet-Nam.

Stephen saw first-hand what his uncle had undergone years ago. The events surrounding a hot LZ landing, and the attitude of Viet-Nam G.I.s in-country, and the bizarre action of Cantrell towards Stephen in the chopper, give a nice perspective on the logic one faced in Viet-Nam! I know, I was there!!!

A very entertaining story, easy to read and crafted well. :D
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “December 2008”