Editorial

Tell us what you thought about the March 2009 issue!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Editorial

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

First, mazel tov* on the prospective addition to the Hollifield legacy.

(*What do you expect? I live in a Jewish neighborhood. Oy vey!)

Second, condolences on the latest hardware woes.

Third -- don't slap Al Gore, the sort of weather you have been suffering is an indication that he is right about climate change, even if you don't believe that humans (a) are the main cause, or (b) can do anything about it.

"Global warming" has fallen out of favor as a term for climate change because too many people take it to mean that temperatures will rise by a degree or two -- hey, more shirtsleeve weather, great! The problem is that it is the global mean temperature that is rising. On average, not so bad. But local temperatures aren't rising uniformly, which means that the extra energy gets translated into stronger winds, changes in the path of the jet stream and other major influences on regional and local weather. Snow storms and heat waves in places that "normally" have moderate weather (sometimes the same places, in succession). Torrential rains and droughts (sometimes in the same places, in succession) instead of precipitation that grows crops instead of destroying them.

On the plus side, I don't imagine that kudzu does all that well with extreme swings in the local weather...

Robert "Where'd I put my SPF 99 and my hipwaders?" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “March 2009”